Cavendon Hall by Barbara Taylor Bradford

I'm a huge fan of Downton Abbey and I've just found a wonderful series to read ! ( )
  mchwest | Dec 8, 2017 |
I had high hopes for this book since I love period dramas, especially those that regard the "upstairs, downstairs" lifestyle found in England during the early 1900s. However, this book seemed hastily written. The characters did not seem to have real depth to them and so I never felt completely drawn to the story. I finished the book and liked it, but I think it had potential to be so much more. The description sounded really good. I will probably give book 2 a try and then decide if I will continue with the series, but I am not sure I would recommend this book to others. I received a complimentary copy from the Goodreads giveaway program in exchange for a review. ( )
  melaniehope | Apr 26, 2017 |
I was and am a huge Downton Abby fan and thought this sounded like something I’d love to read. That said, I found the story well written but I was still disappointed in it. For that I blame the characters that lacked warmth and substance.

Or I might blame the never ending, and at times, inane dialogue between the two dimensional characters.

But then again, it might be the pace of the story that affected my liking of it. The pace was all over the road. It starts of well, but then slows, then fast and then slow for a long time. At times, I almost gave up finishing it, but plowed through it.

In all honesty, I can’t recommend it, but if you’re a fan of this author, you might want to give it a try. If you’ve never read her, please don’t start with this one.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
An Edwardian England family saga that reminds me quite a bit of Downton Abbey. There's the upstairs, downstairs element and similar character types. I liked Daphne and Hugo, but many characters needed some more development. This novel was the first work by the popular author I have read and the story had lots of potential, although some parts were somewhat repetitive. The most detailed parts were the descriptions of the different clothing pieces.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Jan 8, 2017 |
Basil Sands
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |

"Cavendon Hall is home to two families, the aristocratic Inghams and the Swanns who serve them, just as their ancestors did over the centuries. Charles Ingham, the sixth Earl of Mowbray, lives there with his wife Felicity and their six children: Guy, the heir, who is studying at Cambridge; their younger son Miles, attending Eton; and their four daughters Diedre, Daphne, DeLacy and Dulcie, affectionately called the Four Dees by the staff. Walter Swann, the premier male of the Swann family, is valet to the earl. His wife Alice, a clever seamstress, who is in charge of the countess's wardrobe, also makes clothes for the four daughters. For centuries, these two families have lived side-by-side, beneath the backdrop of the imposing Yorkshire manor. But now, with World War I looming, these two families will find themselves tested in ways they never thought possible. Loyalties are tested and betrayals are set into motion. In this time of uncertainty, one thing is sure: these two families will never be the same again. Set over a period of sixteen years (from 1913 to 1929), Cavendon Hall is Barbara Taylor Bradford at her very best. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible