Blossom Street Brides: A Blossom Street…

Blossom Street Brides: A Blossom Street Novel

by Debbie Macomber

This was just okay for me. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. This isn't normally the kind of book that I would pick up but I added it to my so be read list several years ago largely because of my mother. When this book was being released, my mother was undergoing chemotherapy during her third battle with breast cancer. I took her to all of her doctor appointments and chemo treatments so we spent a lot of time together and she loves Debbie Macomber's writing. I added this book to my review pile due to my mother's recommendation but I accept full responsibility for letting it linger there for years. I did like the book and am glad that I finally picked it up.

This is one of those books that tells several somewhat connected stories. I don't always care for this method of storytelling because I often like one of the plot threads more than the others and the book's momentum seems to slow down with the focus is switched. I had those issues with this book and think that I would have enjoyed the book a lot more if one of the stories would have been the primary focus of the book.

Lydia, Lauren, and Bethanne all share a love of knitting and know each other through their hobby. Lydia runs the local yarn store and is dealing with some issues in personal life with her adopted daughter and her mother's health. She is also trying to solve the mystery of the knitting baskets showing up all over town tied to her store. Lauren is ready for a long term relationship and decides to move on from her boyfriend and then quickly meets Rooster and finds that he may be the man she needs in her life. Bethanne and her husband live in different states due to work obligations but are deeply in love. Bethanne's daughter and ex-husband are adding an extra set of challenges but they are determines to make things work.

I liked all three of the stories but the book as a whole just felt too sweet. It really shouldn't have been a surprise that the book read like a Hallmark movie since several of her books actually are Hallmark movies. As I worked my way through this book, some of the characters just seemed unrealistically nice and conversations didn't always feel authentic because everyone was just a little too perfect. There were a few characters that were causing problems and being difficult but the overly sweet tone of the book never seemed to subside.

I have listened to Cassandra Campbell's narration in the past and have always enjoyed her work. She had a pretty large cast of characters to deal with in this book and I thought she did a great job of it. There were times that I thought that the narration was a little too saccharine but I really think that this was due to the dialogue more than anything else. I wouldn't hesitate to listen to Cassandra Campbell again in the future.

I would recommend this book to readers that like a sweet and clean story. I did want to see everything work out for the characters and liked the book overall. I don't think that there is anything ground breaking in this book but it was a nice story.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine via NetGalley and borrowed a copy of the audiobook from the library via Overdrive. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jul 1, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I suppose your enjoyment of the book might depend on just how ridiculous you find the name Rooster for the main love interest. At first it didn't really bother me but as time went on and more people would react the way many probably would ("wait, his name is what? Rooster? Really? No.") the more ridiculous it seemed. As a character he's fine, though he seemed smart enough to not forget to include that one bit of information his new bride found very, very important.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, but sending an "R U pregnant?" text is probably the douchiest move. It vexed me to the point that I had to walk away for a bit.

Otherwise, eh. I believe I saw someone else liken this book to a Hallmark movie. You know how it's going to end up, you can probably even guess how you'll get there, but it's an enjoyable ride all the same.

I do wish we'd found out just what exactly the bad dreams were but perhaps it's a thing in another book. ( )
  Impy | Sep 19, 2017 |
Rene Raudman
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
If you like “cheesy”, go ahead and read it. ( )
  sedzia | Mar 1, 2016 |
The book is based on three brides mostly. The lives of Lauren and Bethannie and her relationship. Lydia with her husband but also dealing with her adopted daughter Casey. Lydia worries about her daughter relationship with her grandmother. Lydia also worries about Casey dreams as well. Bethannie has to deal with her ex husband and his things that he does between Bethannie and Max. Lauren has to deal with he long time boyfriend and her new boyfriend. I wonder how it all works out. You would need to read it to find out. When I read this kinda book I feel like I am apart of the families. There are times I want to yell at them as well. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Feb 22, 2016 |

#1 New York Times bestselling author Debbie Macomber has won the hearts of millions of readers with her moving and inspiring stories. Now wedding bells are ringing in the tight-knit community that gathers around A Good Yarn, a store in a pretty Seattle neighborhood. Knitters come to the store to buy yarn and patterns but somehow they leave richer in friendship and love.

Lauren Elliott has waited years for her long-term boyfriend, Todd, to propose, yet he seems more focused on his career than their relationship. When Lauren learns that her younger sister is pregnant before she herself even has an engagement ring, she feels overjoyed yet disheartened. Knowing she can’t put her future on hold, Lauren prepares to make a bold choice—one that leads her to a man she never dreamed she’d meet.

Newly married to her second husband, Max, Bethanne Scranton is blissfully in love. But with Max’s job in California and Bethanne’s in Seattle, their long-distance marriage is becoming difficult to maintain. To complicate matters, Bethanne’s cunning ex will do anything to win her back.

Lydia Goetz, too, is wonderfully happy with her husband, Brad, though lately she worries about the future of A Good Yarn. As she considers how to bring in business, she discovers that someone has beaten her to the punch. Baskets of yarn are mysteriously popping up all over town, with instructions to knit a scarf for charity and bring it into Lydia’s store. Never before has her shop received so much attention, but who hatched this brilliant plan?

As three women’s lives intersect in unexpected ways, Lydia, Lauren, and Bethanne realize that love heals every heart, and the best surprises still lay ahead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:07 -0400)

Does the perfect wedding make the perfect marriage? As three very different women meet in their local knitting store, they find strength in friendship to help them through their problems. After adopting a daughter, Lydia hoped her life would be complete, but traumatic memories from her daughter's past threaten to ruin their happiness. And Lauren has always yearned for marriage and a family of her own, but her long-term boyfriend just won't commit. Will a whirlwind romance with an unlikely stranger lead to the happily-ever-after she's always dreamed of?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Debbie Macomber's book Blossom Street Brides was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,155,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible