Hat Dance by Carmen Amato

Hat Dance

by Carmen Amato

I finished the book last night and it's been on my mind all day. I don't think there's anything better than reading a book and caring about the characters and wondering what will happen to them. This book has it all - mysteriously set fires, corrupt policemen, exotic foreign city, missing young women, good vs. evil, and wonderful relationship interplay. It beautifully explores the relationships Emilia has with her mother, her priest, her deceased partner, her present partner, and the handsome hotel manager, Kurt Rucker. Not only is it a terrific read, but the author brilliantly manages to relevantly tie together a number of threads in the story. I can't recommend it highly enough and now I have to read Cliff Diver. A very good read! ( )
  DianneDHarman | Sep 14, 2014 |
Emilia Cruz Encino, Acapulco’s first, and so far only, female police detective, continues to struggle with corruption, institutional misogyny, class conflict, a slightly crazy mother, and the difficulties of an inter-racial relationship while attempting to stop a series of fire-bombings targeting high-end restaurants and nightclubs around the bay, without access to the technology that has dominated U.S.-based police procedurals for years. The unusual (to those in the U.S.) setting with all its unfamiliar complications and the archaic police work make for a fresh, character-driven approach to crime writing.

This is the second in the series ([Cliff Diver] is the first), and in both the author has mostly avoid genre tropes and stereotypes, though the series contains elements of both romance and mystery. Mostly, she just tells about interesting characters striving to improve their lives in the difficult environment of modern-day Acapulco, rendering a story far richer than the thriller-factories of the big publishing houses.

If Ms. Amato continues writing this series, I’ll keep reading it. ( )
  steve.clason | Jan 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed this story. The author has a great writing style that exposes the corruption that exists in Mexico. Who can you trust? A young woman cop not only fights for justice outside law enforcement, but also within. The characters were colorful and the story interesting. I recommend Hat Dance to others. ( )
  mahree | Nov 14, 2013 |

Carmen Amato is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,303,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible