Trusting Thomas (Collars & Cuffs Book 2) by…

Trusting Thomas (Collars & Cuffs Book 2)

by K.C. Wells

As amazing as the first book in the 'Collars and Cuffs' series, this second volume is a very different story. I loved watching Thomas, a seasoned Dom, struggle against his attraction—luckily without much success. And to see Peter, who has been horribly abused, come out of his shell, slowly and ever-watchful, was a joy. Just like in the first book the tone is real, the underlying honesty with which the issues are addressed is refreshing, and the slow developments in the men's relationship with all their subtle and not-so-subtle changes pulled me right into the story and didn't let me go.

Peter has been horribly abused, and while the man who beat Peter up and almost starved him to death in the name of BDSM may call himself a Dom, he is nothing but a cruel bully and a criminal. When Peter is rescued from his fate and brought to Thomas, he believes he is in for more of the same—if not straight away, then in time. He finds it understandably difficult to impossible to believe Thomas will treat him fairly, and what he sees astounds him. But it takes him talking to Alex (the man who found out he was a sub in books one) to figure out there are rules, that he has power in the relationship, and that there is such a thing as safewords. I loved watching his learning process and his growing understanding that he can get what he craves in bed without having to become anyone's punching bag.

Thomas is a tough nut to crack, emotionally that is. He is an amazing Dom, has trained both subs and Doms, and as the co-owner of Collars & Cuffs he is largely responsible for the safe environment the club offers to members of the scene. But as helpful and supportive as Tomas is in Peter's recovery, he never dares consider the idea that Peter may be interested in him. As in really interested on a vey personal level. Thomas may think he doesn’t want a sub, but he, too, has things to learn. It takes a pretty scary situation, and all of Peter's powers of persuasion for Thomas to begin seeing his life an future in a different way.

If you like novels with characters who are real and are allowed to grow, if you find relationships interesting where characters are given the time to get to know each other, and if you're looking for a hurt-comfort read that is as much about the psychology and physical side of a BDSM relationship as it is about love between two men, then you will probably like this novel as much as I did. It is s worthy successor to the first book in this series

NOTE: This book was provided by Dreamspinner Press for the purpose of a review. ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |
This is the second book in the Collars and Cuff series, so Leo and Alex from [b:An Unlocked Heart|18076442|An Unlocked Heart (Collars and Cuffs, #1)|K.C. Wells|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1371328887s/18076442.jpg|25381494] are in it throughout. Leo as half-owner of the BDSM club Collars and Cuffs which is the backdrop of this series, and Alex, who befriends Peter, the second main character in this novel.

We were originally introduced to Thomas in book one, so if you're reading the series in order (which my book OCD requires me to do), you're familiar with him.

We meet a few new people here first. Thomas' friend Steven Drummond and his Sub, David as well as another Dom, Alan Marchant. They all belong to another BDSM club, and Steven notices what he fears is the mistreatment of a sub, he decides to rescue that sub. He brings the rescued Peter to Thomas for safety and eventual training.

One of the things I liked about this story was that at the start it works because Thomas is a great "teaching" Dom (i.e. he trains both Subs and Doms and them passes them on to other more permament arrangements). He's never really had a sub of his own, and he doesn't have sexual relationships with his trainees. Submission and sex are not the same thing. Peter is having enough of a hard time just learning what it means to be submissive (the past four years of his life were not representative of a true D/s lifestyle and it isn't until he starts learning the truth that he's able to see the difference between what he experienced and what he may want in his future.

I did appreciate the fact that for much of this book there is no pressure for sexual contact between Thomas and Peter, or even interest for a long time. Peter is still recovering, so that felt very real and the whole relationship felt very organic.

Once they are feeling things in the same way (and recognising it, even to themselves) the main issue seems to be the age difference, but it all gets worked out.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, as much as the first one (perhaps more). ( )
  saohicwitch | Apr 21, 2016 |
3 stars. My heart broke for Peter throughout this whole book. Wasn't really a big fan of the age difference (but that's just me). The bdsm talks seemed a bit preachy to me and I never really felt the spark between the MC's.

Still, not a bad story and I'm a sucker for hurt/comfort books. ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editOn Top Down Under, Steph (May 19, 2014)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible