Ballad by Blexbolex

Ballad

by Blexbolex

A child walks home from school enjoying her surroundings, but as the story progresses the world becomes more complex, darker, and terrifying. ( )
  paula-childrenslib | Feb 15, 2016 |
I picked up this book for my almost 11 year old daughter but I read it first. The format is so different and interesting and the pictures are incredible. It is a rare talent when you can use few words and pictures to develop a story. Very well done. I can understand why the book was so highly recommended. The only reason I gave three stars is that I probably won't read again but I did consider this to be a very good read (I give a description of my rating system on my profile) and I am going to bug my daughter to read it ;) Beautiful book. ( )
  Veronica.Sparrow | Nov 15, 2015 |
  Veronica.Sparrow | Nov 15, 2015 |
An absolutely beautiful piece of work but an awkward book to categorize or generalize. This has been nominated in the graphic novel category for the Cybils but mostly as it fits there better than anywhere else. It's not going to appeal to the average graphic novel enthusiast though. I'd describe this as a long picture book, illustrated artistically, with as much, if not more (?) appeal to the older reader than a young child. Text and illustration go hand in hand here with the illustration being the prime mode of storytelling and the text mostly short two words in a stylized cursive font. This is a piece of art. The story is whimsical. The kind of tale children make-up in their heads as they play (or used to before internet), of bandits and dragons and queens, kidnappings, witches, spells and heroes. A joyous fairy tale! And again to show how hand-in-hand the text and illustration are the text mimics the art; when the world goes upside down so do the words, when the crowds and people get jumbled up so do the words and when the scenes are hidden in the dark the words are missing too. This is a very unique experience and will not appeal to those interested in a normal reading experience but if you enjoy something unusual, avant-garde even don't hesitate to read this little treasure. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 17, 2014 |
Ballad by Blexbolex is one of those books that's hard to pin down. For the purpose of the CYBILs, it is a graphic novel but that's merely a way of saying it's mostly illustrations and it's longer than a picture book.

But it's really more an art piece, an experiment in narrative structure, if you will. At it's most basic level, it's about a journey from home, to school and back again. But this story is told multiple times. Each time it's retold it becomes more complicated and more magical.

Looking beyond the initial story, it's also the tale of The Bandits. They look a bit like the Fox and Cat from Pinocchio and they appear throughout the book doing nefarious things. No matter what it is they are doing, they are listed simply as "The Bandits"

Along with the ever changing story is the ever changing text. The text being just a pair of words per page (usually an article and a noun), rendered in an a looping script, takes on the form of the story. When magic mysteriously turns the town upside down, the text too is inverted. When things are tossed about willy nilly, so are the letters. When things vanish, so does the text.

For an adult, Ballad is a fairly easy read — though one should take time to ponder how the story is told. For younger readers, the script might be difficult. For my daughter who is just now learning how to write and read cursive, Ballad's plot seemed secondary to the the emphasis it puts on testing readers on their ability to read cursive. ( )
  pussreboots | Dec 12, 2014 |

Blexbolexprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bedrick, Claudia Z.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159270137X, Hardcover)

Ballad is a story, and like all great stories it deepens with each retelling.
Ballad builds over seven sequences. The first has three images: school, path, home. The next builds upon the first, giving us: school, street, path, forest, home. The next five sequences take up this story, but with new words and images that nearly double the previous sequence. Here a child encounters the world as he returns home from school, and we see his small world become enormous. This story is as old as the world. It happens every day.
Blexbolex is a bold, highly talented graphic artist. In addition to creating comics, he's been internationally acclaimed for Seasons, selected as a 2012 New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book of the Year; and People.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,188,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible