I'll Be Right There: A novel by Kyung-sook…

I'll Be Right There: A novel (2010)

by Kyung-sook Shin

To be read and reread, definitely!
I am fascinated by Koreans, they have character depth, forgiveness ideology, and their stories are quite emotional.
I don't know where to start; I'm in love with all of the characters, with all of their goods and bads, they're very real. I felt physically there on the streets they walked on, the places they visited. I laughed, frowned, smiled and cried with them. But the crying was very different from any other literary crying I've experienced, it was a gradual overwhelming and lingering crying experience, and I LOVED it! I am ready to read more of Shin's books ♥ ( )
1 vote pathogenik | Feb 18, 2016 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
One of the best books I've read all year. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Dec 24, 2015 |
First I liked it, then I didn't like it much, but by the end, I loved it. We get to know Jung Yoon, and some of her friends while she is in college in Korea. We get brief glimpses of her childhood, and don't get to really know her or her friends, just what has happened to them. I found it to be rather depressing, but not in a bad way, if that makes sense. I wanted to know what happened next, and especially how it all came together in the end. I will read it again. ( )
1 vote croknot1 | Sep 18, 2014 |
To me, I'll Be Right There was more of a feeling than it was a story. I wasn't reading words as much as I was reading someone's hard felt emotions. Reading and feeling, for a while, became one and entirely the same. It was romantic, tragic, cryptic, and painful. It was beautiful and it was ugly - it was honest. ( )
2 vote Laura.Rose.W. | Aug 19, 2014 |
Who is that weeping, if not simply the wind,
At this sole hour, with ultimate diamonds?… But who Weeps, so close to myself on the brink of tears?
—Paul Valéry, “The Young Fate”
It was my first phone call from him in eight years.

While people vanish without a trace and others die senselessly, Jung Yoon matures into young adulthood as she loses her beloved mother, meets a once-in-a-lifetime mentor professor, forms and renews intimate friendships, and creates "forever" memories with her first love.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,067,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible