On Best Behavior (The Conduct Series Book 3)…

On Best Behavior (The Conduct Series Book 3)

by Jennifer Lane

322,001,085 (5)None
Recently added byMynTop, arthistorychick, Darcia

On Best Behavior by Jennifer Lane
(Book #3: CONduct Series)
Source: Author
Rating: 5/5 stars

**SPOILERS!! Stop reading if you haven’t read books one and two!!**

The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming and Grant is once again caught up in the middle of the mess and looking to make things right. Oh Grant, will you ever learn?

On Best Behavior is the third and final installment of Jennifer Lane’s CONduct series and it is a fine ending to what has proven to be a very good adult romantic trilogy. At the end of Bad Behavior, Grant and Sophie had both been pardoned, were newly engaged and looking forward to starting their lives together without the taint of criminal and parolee hanging over each of them. While Sophie is all kinds of on board with this plan, Grant unfortunately has other ideas. Agreeing to work undercover for the FBI was not on Sophie’s agenda but Grant, still trying to make the world safe from the mafia has agreed to help the FBI take down a nasty group of Russians who have taken up residence in Chicago.

Though he knows the assignment will be difficult, Grant is convinced he can help the FBI and is determined to put these very bad men behind bars. As he gets deeper into the organization, Grant’s determination becomes even further resolved when he sees the abuse the women are subject to and the filth the bosses are involved in. If only the Russians were Grant’s only problem. As is typical, Grant’s horrifyingly awful family is once again up to no good and should Grant die as a result of their scheming, then so be it. To make matters even worse, in order to protect Sophie and Ben, Grant is forced to separate from them and only see them when he is absolutely certain he isn’t being tailed. Oh, Grant!

Though Sophie (mostly) understands Grant’s desire to help the FBI, she isn’t thrilled with being separated from her fiancé. Of the two, it is Sophie who truly appreciates the level of danger Grant is putting himself into and does her best to hide her fear and support her man. Keeping Sophie busy is young Ben who has joined the swim team, has his eye on a beautiful young lady and, is trying desperately to stay on the straight and narrow in order to avoid turning out like his dad. Once again, the family from Hell butts in and drags Ben and Sophie into a huge mess that eventually wraps itself around Grant and his mess to create one ginormous and seriously ugly mess. Will these two ever, ever, ever find their HEA??

The Bottom Line: Though On Best Behavior started out a bit on the slow side, once it got rolling it didn’t slow down and I totally understood the need for the slow beginning. Even though the series is already two books old, Lane had a lot of ground work to lay for this final installment and by the end of the read I saw the beginning as more of a slow burn leading up to a big boom rather than a true slow start. There are the Russians, the FBI, the family from Hell and so much emotional drama that I was worn out in the totally good way by the end of the read. And then, there is the end and man, oh man is it a pretty perfect way to tie up Grant and Sophie’s story. Overall, the CONduct series has proven to be a very solid romantic suspense trilogy and one I feel comfortable recommending to a wide range of readers. :) ( )
  arthistorychick | Nov 23, 2013 |
This is the third and final book in the Conduct Series, and I'm sad to say good bye to Grant and Sophie. Some people have favorite celebrity couples. I have favorite fictional couples, and Grant and Sophie are one of mine.

While On Best Behavior could potentially be read as a stand-alone, I think this series works best if the three books are read in order. There are many intricacies within the characters' relationships that would be missed if you didn't start at the beginning. My feeling is that this book focuses more on an in-depth plot, whereas the first two focused more on the characters' relationships. Without the understanding that comes from reading the first two, a reader might not build enough connection with Grant and Sophie.

The plot here is a culmination of things that happened in the prior books, as well as additional elements specific to this story. The action moves at a good pace, and the details are handled well.

I love the moments of insight that Sophie, Grant, and even Ben experience as their psychotherapy progresses. These little tidbits not only give us a better understanding of the characters, but they're also important bits of information for all of us to hold onto as we move through life.

On Best Behavior is the perfect ending to a storybook couple I've grown to love. ( )
  Darcia | Oct 22, 2013 |

Jennifer Lane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,855,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible