Alice in Tumblr-land: And Other Fairy Tales…

Alice in Tumblr-land: And Other Fairy Tales for a New Generation

by Tim Manley

This wasn't at all what I expected. I thought it would be a full-on parody of Alice In Wonderland; however it was more like little drabbles of old fairytales.

I liked it.

Not all of them were funny. Some were kind of sad and gave me the feels. Some just made you think. At some point, when you grow up, you realize how bass-akwards children's versions of fairytales are. Like why did the princess always need some random dude to roll in and save the day?! Why did the princess never save the prince? Being swept off your feet is nice and all, and I fully endorse it, but I also endorse rescuing yourself. And why was it always happily ever after? Can't it just be, content, or okay ever after? LOL!

I kind of like this twisted, sort of cynical play on the old tales. Definitely a good read. ( )
  Virago77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
Oops! I purchased this book thinking it was a modern take on Fairy tales - but still for children. OK I was wrong. It is a satire and its target audience is twenty somethings.

I have to admit I found some stories hilarious. But, since I'm way older than the target group I found some parts rather vulgar. Oh well I've got to lighten up:-) All in all worth reading and will tickle your funny bone. ( )
  Writermala | Apr 22, 2016 |
This review was originally posted on my blog Little Miss Reader

I really enjoyed Alice in Tumblr-land, it is a quick, light and fun read.

I love the modern twist, and how easy it is to picture it! Manley has taken some of my favorite fairytales and changed them into ordinary people, and I enjoyed that. Peter Pan having a hard time because all he thinks about is the internet, Rapunzel thinking that the people liking her new profile picture hated her old hair, and just never told her.

Some of the stories was more on the adult side of the scale with stories about Lancelot being gay and the beast (from Beauty and the Beast) having some weird fetiches.

This book also has some great quotes, which is actually also some lessons on life, and just some that are great to keep in the back of your head.

I love how this book was an actual page-turner, because every page was a new story, you never got that feeling that you needed a break. And you know how you keep saying "just one more chapter" and keeps on reading 20 more, that is what happens with this book, it keeps you reading because you want to read the next story, and then the next and so on. Basically, that "just one more story", is never actually just one more story.

But I think it would be amazing to read the original stories as a child or have them read aloud, and then as a teenager or adult to read this! Because, this is a great book!
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
This was a fun, quick read!
  LouisVillains | Mar 13, 2014 |
WARNING: This book is most definitely not for children.

I read this book because it reminded me of the Politically Correct Bedtime Stories series.

Tumblr is a short form blogging platform. Each set of two pages in this book includes a tumblr-like post. The books goes back and forth between different characters - Peter Pan, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, and Pinocchio to name a few.

Unfortunately, that is where the tie to the fairly tales ends.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2014/02/alice-in-tumblr-land.html ( )
  njmom3 | Feb 19, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014312479X, Hardcover)

The Ugly Duckling still feels gross compared to everyone else, but now she’s got Instagram, and there’s this one filter that makes her look awesome. Cinderella swaps her glass slippers for Crocs. The Tortoise and the Hare Facebook stalk each other. Goldilocks goes gluten free. And Peter Pan finally has to grow up and get a job, or at least start paying rent.

Here are more than one hundred fairy tales, illustrated and re-imagined for today. Instead of fairy godmothers, there’s Siri. And rather than big bad wolves, there are creepy dudes on OkCupid. In our brave new world of social networking, YouTube, and texting, fairy tales can once again lead us to “happily ever after”—and have us laughing all the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:00 -0400)

Disney meets Lena Dunham in this illustrated humor book featuring your favorite fairy-tale characters dating and finding their way in 21st-century America.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible