Screwtape Letters: Annotated Edition, The by…

Screwtape Letters: Annotated Edition, The

by C. S. Lewis

This is an interesting book that really makes you think. I would be listening to it on audiobook when I should've been doing my homework, and I could practically hear Screwtape saying; "While it's best to keep her from doing anything spiritual, if she reads a spiritual book while she should be attending to her other duties, she is not doing what the enemy wants her to." Which was actually rather disconcerting, and would often her enough to make me pause the audiobook and do homework.

This book has so many things that have continued to be relevant today, and maybe is more relevant then it was when it was written. The audiobook had what was basically a commencement address from Screwtape to the demons graduating and moving on to work at tempting humans, and so many of the things that he predicted have been happening lately. The insights on democracy were things I'd never considered before, and it seems rather frightening, but I can see the truth in the statements. C.S. Lewis was a very wise man. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jun 1, 2016 |
Can I just ask why Goodreads is being such a bad word so far as routinely freezing up in the middle of reviews is concerned? Seriously. Every time I find a book and mark it "read," Goodreads asks me to rate and review it. I try to oblige. And every single time I do so, I end up having to delete it and quit out and try again, because during the course of every single review, it refuses to let me type any more. And I don't mean I've run out of characters. Nor has my computer frozen up. Goodreads just decides, often in the middle of a sentence, that I'm done now. Anybody else?

What I should do is wise up and write all my reviews in a Word document and then just copy them out here. Or just shut up and limit my reviews to "Awesome!!! Totes!!!" or "Meh."

Anyway.

If you're going to read Screwtape, this is a good edition to get. The annotation is thorough, and the additional material gives a good context as to how and why Lewis wrote this work.

The premise, if you're not familiar with it, is that Screwtape is a major demon with what's basically a desk job in Hell. He's exchanging letters with his nephew in the field, who's acting as the evil opposite of a guardian angel to his first human. This book is Screwtape's side of the correspondence.

Lewis is a clear-eyed observer of humanity, and this book is probably his most scorching work in that respect. I'm in a hurry to get this back to the library with my errand-runners, but I do love the bit where Lewis heaps scorn on Werther-like Romantics. Screwtape warns his nephew to protect his human charge "from any real pain; because, of course, five minutes' genuine toothache would reveal the romantic sorrows for the nonsense they were."

I also admire Lewis' idea of Christianity at its finest. A perfect Christian, he says here, is one who would "design the best cathedral in the world, and know it to be the best, and rejoice in the fact, without being any more (or less) or otherwise glad at having done it than he would be if it had been done by another."

Lewis also includes some searing warnings against selfishness, self-righteousness, and malice in its many disguises, none of which I have time to find because I've just been asked to get some directions to a destination for my resident errand-runners. So I'll end by recommending this book to anyone who'd like a better understanding of Christianity in general and C.S. Lewis' take on it in particular. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Loved this book. ( )
  joshrskinner | Jul 30, 2014 |
bookshelves: autumn-2013, radio-4, published-1942, philosophy, catholic, satire, abandoned, next
Recommended for: BBC Radio Listeners
Read from November 16 to 18, 2013

BOTW

BBC BLURB: This week marks the fiftieth anniversary of C.S. Lewis's death, and a memorial stone to the author is due to be unveiled in Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey.

Book of the Week marks the occasion with a reading of his famous letters from a senior to a junior devil.

Read by Simon Russell Beale Abridged and produced by Jane Marshall.

A Jane Marshall production for BBC Radio 4.

1. In which we start...

...and end of episode 1 is where this gal bails.

Superb writing, however the sly mediaeval subject matter of the devils v the gods is really not for me.

See also Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson ( )
  mimal | Jan 1, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062023179, Hardcover)

On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of C. S. Lewis’s death, a special annotated edition of his Christian classic, The Screwtape Letters, with notes and excerpts from his other works that help illuminate this diabolical masterpiece.

Since its publication in 1942, The Screwtape Letters has sold millions of copies worldwide and is recognized as a milestone in the history of popular theology. A masterpiece of satire, it offers a sly and ironic portrayal of human life and foibles from the vantage point of Screwtape, a highly placed assistant to “Our Father Below.” At once wildly comic, deadly serious, and strikingly original, The Screwtape Letters comprises the correspondence of the worldly-wise devil Screwtape and his nephew Wormwood, a novice demon in charge of securing the damnation of an ordinary young man.

For the first time, The Screwtape Letters will be presented in full-text accompanied by helpful annotations in a striking two-color format. These annotations will give fans a deeper, more nuanced understanding of the popular book, providing background information, explanations of terms, historical significance, and excerpts from Lewis’s other works that more fully explain the ideas in this volume.

For both expert Lewis fans and casual readers, The Screwtape Letters: Annotated Edition will be a beautiful and insightful guide to a beloved classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,978,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible