Little White Lies and Butterflies by Suzie…

Little White Lies and Butterflies

by Suzie Tullett

421,664,912 (4.5)None
Recently added byIngstje, texanne, AngeloMarcos, booketta

I bought this book as, even though I rarely read this genre, I had previously read Suzie Tullett’s first book – Going Underground – and really enjoyed it.

I found this to be a really entertaining and fun book, and I think it’s testament to the author that even though at times the main character frustrated me (as she was so particular about who ‘the one’ is and discounted potential dates for the smallest of reasons!), I was still rooting for her throughout the book.

As with the author’s first novel, I really liked the interplay between the characters, and actually laughed out loud at some of the dialogue, particularly between the main character and her family. I also laughed out loud at some of the mannerisms and idiosyncratic behaviour of the main character’s Greek hosts, although that was mainly because I recognised a lot of things from my own family…!

The overall feel of the book is very much playful and warm-hearted, which makes it easy and enjoyable to read. It’s definitely a book I’ll be recommending!
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
The story is mainly set on Kalymnos, one of the Greek islands and therefore would make an ideal holiday read. Having said that it could easily be read anywhere and readers will find themselves transported to sunshine, warm seas and blue skies. If you want escapism you've got it. It's fun, it will make you smile and raise a laugh. That's what chick-lit is all about and it contains the important ingredients. Lydia is a bit annoying but you have to laugh or cringe at her predicament. Sam is likeable but my favourite character has to be Lydia's Mum who comes up trumps. She's the sort of Mum we'd all like to be or have, a rock. It only took me two evenings to get through this light read, good to turn to after something more heavy going. ( )
  booketta | Apr 21, 2014 |

A child of the nineties, Lydia Livingston is different. The last thing she's ever wanted is to be superwoman; she knows first-hand that 'having it all' isn't everything it's cracked up to be. As far as she's concerned, when it comes to job versus family, it's a definite case of one or the other. And whilst most women her age have spent years climbing the corporate ladder, she's made a career out of bagging her perfect man. At almost thirty and still single, Lydia wonders if she'd made the right choice all those years ago. And realising the time has come to take stock, she goes against her family's wishes and banishes herself off to a distant land-all in the hope of finding a new direction. At least that's the plan. But Lydia Livingston isn't just different, she's misunderstood. A fact she knows all too well. So when the totally unsuitable Sam comes along, she decides to tell a little white lie, re-inventing herself as a professional chef - not exactly the best new identity to come up with for a woman who can't even cook. Of course, the last thing she expects is for him to find out the truth and start blackmailing her. Let alone find herself roped into catering for a local wedding. But with things going from bad to worse, her madder than mad family also turn up in something of a surprise visit, intent on celebrating a birthday she's no intentions of celebrating!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,658,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible