Pioggia by W. Somerset Maugham

This is the second Maugham book I've read this year. I really love his character building and overall story building. Once I started reading this I realized that I had seen a play based on this story. It's the story of Sadie Thompson, a fallen woman, and her encounters with a stern and judgmental missionary in Pago Pago.

I really need to make a point of reading at least one of Maugham's novels next year. ( )
  Unkletom | Dec 31, 2016 |
Enjoyable, easy reading short story concerning the efforts of an upright minister to reform a prostitute. Previous reviewers have described the book well. A good read for those who enjoy short stories. ( )
  la2bkk | Sep 9, 2013 |
My third audio book, and I really enjoyed it. It differed from the other two by being a truly awful, unprofessional recording: words stumbled over, words mispronounced, strange falsetto voices for the women. However the story was written by a master, and that made a huge difference.

Annie Proulx's Brokeback Mountain was the first audio book I listened to. She's a writer strictly for the times; I can't see her books being read fifty years from now. Tom DeBaggio's Losing My Mind, his memoir of his deteriorating life with Alzheimer's had the benefit of all his years as a journalist, he really could write. But W. Somerset Maugham, is a modern master of the short story and novella, and the full virtues of his ability to situate in time and place the characters, making that time and place an integral part of the story overcame any shortcoming that the audio recording had.

The story is simply about the hypocrisy, snobbishness and frailty of people, and how they justify it. The characters are strongly drawn and speak for themselves, no characteristion by the narrator is necessary (or desirable). The ending is quite shocking, but on reflection, not unexpected. A work of genius. ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |

Legacy Library: W. Somerset Maugham

W. Somerset Maugham has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See W. Somerset Maugham's legacy profile.

See W. Somerset Maugham's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible