Stikvallei by Frank Westerman

Stikvallei (2013)

by Frank Westerman

Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time by Michael Shermer (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Stikvallei toont de blik van een journalist op het fenomeen waarbij feiten worden vermengd tot verhalen. "Why People..." bekijkt het analytisch vanuit wetenschappelijke bril.

Dutch (3)  English (1)  All (4)
A hard one to review. I got it from a friend with the message: read this, it goes about stories and how they evolve, how facts become myths and the other way around, or not?
I worked (yes, worked) myself through this book because i was hoping that at the end some conclusion would be made, but ... nope.
So dear author, tell me why this book has been written? It is non-fiction, it goes through all the different interpretations given to a disaster that happened in the eighties in Cameroon but .... it stays there. The book depicts the various points of view and what has become of them in the imagination, the African storytelling, the facts by different scientists who didn't agree, the oral tradition, connection with ancient gods and devils .....
But no conclusion.
Yes it is about storytelling, how history modifies certain things, how people with different interests make something different of the same but for me it could have been a bit more. But the author is clearly no historian, and so in my opinion he just adds one extra version of different facts.
As i said: a difficult one. ( )
  Lunarreader | Aug 6, 2014 |
Het was de tijd van de grote volksverhuizingen. De Kom kwamen uit het oosten. Niemand weet waarom ze hun bonenveldjes en bedden met cocoyams op een dag in de steek lieten.
In oktober 2013 komt dit boek van Frank Westerman uit met de titel Stikvallei. De literaire juweeltjes-serie met dezelfde titel, is een voorstudie van het nieuwe boek. Niet samenvoegen, alsjeblieft.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,200,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible