One Year in Berlin; Foreign Bride by Marina…

One Year in Berlin; Foreign Bride

by Marina Raydun

222,551,640 (4.5)None
Recently added bykara.shamy, SheriAWilkinson

One Year in Berlin; Foreign Bride (by Marina Raydun)

One Year in Berlin; Foreign Bride is a fantastic book with two short stories. The first is about Rachel who goes to Berlin with her husband for a job opportunity. While there she is haunted by her family's past during the Holocaust. She has nightmares and vision that begin to affect her life and she is forced to come to terms with her emotions and face her inner demons.

The second story is about a mail-order-bride Sofiya. She is a beautiful Russian woman who speaks English and wants to make her marriage with Bobby work, despite her inner struggles and feelings of insecurity. Bobby is flawed as well, he has secrets he hides from Sofiya. Will they be able to face their demons and save their marriage?

Well written stores filled with emotions. I felt as if I were in touch with Rachel, able to feel how she felt and understand her troubles and fears. Marina Raydun knows how to bring her characters to life and leave a lasting impression. I hope to see more work from her soon. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Apr 2, 2014 |
When I received a copy of Marina Raydun's latest work of fiction in the mail. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. I often enter Goodreads giveaway contests to win books by authors unfamiliar to me, so when I had the good fortune to win this book, all I knew about it was that the descriptions posted online seemed pretty interesting. I opened it up to quickly peruse the new volume to see what I was in for when I got around to reading Raydun's novellas. I read the first page of "One Year in Berlin"...A few hours later I had finished reading two spell-binding stories and trying to remember what I was supposed to be doing when I first opened the package!

Both "One Year in Berlin" and the second featured novella, "Foreign Bride" are compelling works of psychological fiction that take the reader inside the fraught mind sets of relatable female protagonists in complex romantic/sexual relationships. Everything about the worlds created by this very talented author feels quite real--even elements of the plots that would stretch credulity if related in any other form.

Though we're quite different in some ways I view as pretty fundamental, I identified pretty strongly with Rachel's character in "One Year in Berlin." Raydun's portrayal of her experience in her marriage gave me a number of interesting new insights and included ideas and sentiments I recognized well.

Reading this book was a personally empowering experience. I will be sure to follow Marina Raydun's literary career; I am eager to read what she writes next. ( )
  kara.shamy | Jan 9, 2014 |
One Year in Berlin; Foreign Bride (by Marina Raydun)

added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il, Sheri A Wilkinson (Oct 13, 2013)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,762,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible