An An Amish Country Christmas by Charlotte…

An An Amish Country Christmas

by Charlotte Hubbard

Two stories that tell the stories of some 'minor' characters in the Charlotte Hubbard/Naomi King series. The first story deals with some very minor characters and how they meet their future wives. The second story tells about Preacher (Bishop) Tom and Bishop Vernon who fall in love with sisters, Nazereth and Jerusalem Hooley.

Another great book, however, I did miss Hiram in these two novellas. This book fills in some gaps in the series. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Jul 17, 2014 |
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Reminding us of a simpler way of life and the true meaning of the holidays, Charlotte Hubbard’s An Amish Country Christmas was a joy to read. Two light hearted romances, well developed characters and good dialogue kept me turning the pages to discover what would happen to the four couples involved. While a part of the Seasons of the Heart series (due to being set in Willow Ridge and Cedar Creek, Missouri), this book can easily be enjoyed on its own.

In The Christmas Visitors we are introduced to two sets of siblings, twins Mary and Martha Coblentz and brothers Nathan and Bram Kanagy. While from different “Plain” communities, these are young people enjoying their youth and preparing for their futures. Meeting by chance, due to an encounter at the local mercantile in Cedar Creek, these young couples strike an immediate attraction, pair up, have a difference of opinion and falling out and then reunite, all while spending their Christmas/New Year’s holidays together.

Fun and lighthearted, Ms. Hubbard’s story reminds us of the importance that faith in God, love for their families, and a willingness to live a life without all of the “modern” or “English” contraptions many of us have somehow come to depend on. I really enjoyed how she developed all of the characters and how she introduced a sweet romance into their lives.

In Kissing the Bishop the author takes us out of Cedar Creek and takes us to Willow Ridge, a neighboring “Plain” community three hours away. Here we meet middle aged sisters Jerusalem and Nazareth Hooley, and two widowed bishops, Tom Hostetler, the newly appointed bishop of Willow Creek, and Vernon Gingerich, the bishop of Cedar Creek. While the bishops have gotten together to discuss church matters, the maiden sisters have agreed to cook and tend house during their meeting.

While this is a romance focused on “older” characters, it is no less sweet, and focuses a bit more on the actual relationships between a husband and a wife. While both Jerusalem and Nazareth Hooley thought that marriage was an experience in life they would never experience, both Tom Hostetler and Vernon Gingerich remind us that we can fall in love, and be willing to make life changes, at any time. Ms. Hubbard did an excellent job developing these four characters and I was really sorry to reach the end of this story.

Overall An Amish Country Christmas is a clean, excellent romance, I am happy to recommend to anyone who wants a sweet Holiday romance! I know I’ll be getting the rest of Ms. Hubbard’s Seasons of the Heart books to read over the holidays myself. ( )
  MariaD. | Nov 25, 2013 |
Charlotte Hubbard/Naomi King Does It Again!

I thoroughly enjoyed the two Novella’s in this book. The characters were entertaining and just delightful.

The Christmas Visitors brought many smiles to my face with the antics of twin sisters Martha and Mary Coblentz. They sure turned the heads of brothers Nate and Bram Kanagy! But, did Martha and Mary go too far with one of their pranks? What did they do to make Nate leave in a huff?

Kissing The Bishop returns us to Willow Ridge where we pick up on the lives of sisters Nazareth and Jerusalem Hooley who are helping preacher Tom Hostetler with housekeeping duties now that he is living alone. Entering the picture is Bishop Vernon Gingerich, now this story gets really interesting!

I am a huge fan of this author. Her books are full of emotions. You might be laughing during one scene and crying during another. One thing they are not and that is boring!

At the end of this book you will find an extra bonus; many delicious dessert recipes. I plan on trying some of them out! ( )
  passionforbooks | Nov 23, 2013 |
This is a bonus book with two in one. The first story is called The Christmas Visitors, and involves a set of twin Amish woman, Martha and Mary Coblentz, and a set of brothers Nate and Bram Kanagy. The couples have a chance meeting when the boys arrive in Cedar Creek to pick up their buggy and sleigh.
This is a tale, that will make you smile, with the antics that only twins can produce. Will there be budding romance here, but between whom? These young people belong to strong Amish families, who stand behind them.
Enjoy immersing yourself in these young folks lives, a different kind of Christmas.

The second book, with a really cute title, Kissing The Bishop, is just that. This is a continuation of the lives of the Hooley family. We first met Jerusalem and Nazareth when they arrived in Willow Ridge with their nephews.
Now one or both of the sisters appear to have new loves. Is it possible at their age. Tom Hosteler has an eye for Jerusalem, but his wife left him, and divorce is not allowed for the Amish. When several area Bishops arrive at Tom's place, they want him to become the new Bishop of his district. The Hooley sister's are there to help and cook for these gentlemen. One of the Bishops, Vernon Gingerich, a widower, likes what he sees in Nazareth.
We find these older folks out playing like children, so cute. You will love the sparking that goes on between these couples. Their paths also cross with the Kanagy and Coblentz couples.
This is a refreshing, enjoyable Holiday read. I really enjoyed it, and can't wait for the next book.
Also included is a plethora of wonderful recipes. Enjoy!!

I received this book through Pump Your Book Virtual Tours, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Nov 1, 2013 |
AN AMISH COUNTRY CHRISTMAS by Charlotte Hubbard and Naomi King is a gripping Inspirational Amish Romance set in modern day Willow Ridge, Missouri. Two gripping stories of love,peace and faith written by two wonderful authors, both of whom are great storytellers. Oh yeah, it has recipes at the end of the book. Wonderful, mouthing watering recipes,I might add!

Now back to the stories. In "The Christmas Visitors" by Naomi King, twins Mary and Martha Coblentz have unexpected visitors, brothers, Nate and Bram Kanagy. All four may just find the blessing of a lifetime in Willow Ridge.

Then you have Charlotte Hubbard's "Kissing the Bishop",which centers around Nazareth Hooley, her sister, and Tom Hostetler. Which learn dreams can come true if you have faith and love.

Both stories are filled with Christmas cheer, magic, faith,and love. Both are well written with engaging characters and interesting as well as intriguing storylines. Heartwarming stories that are well told. A perfect Christmas season book to curl up to on a cold winter's day! If you enjoy Amish, the Christmas season, and the magic of peace,love and Christmas you will enjoy "An Amish Country Christmas". A must read! Received for an honest review from the publisher and/or Pump Up Your Book.

RATING 4.5

HEAT RATING: SWEET

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Oct 15, 2013 |

In Willow Ridge, Missouri, the Christmas season is a time when faith brings peace, family brings warmth, and new romance brings sparkling joy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible