Bonkers: My Life in Laughs by Jennifer…

Bonkers: My Life in Laughs

by Jennifer Saunders

Pretty good, Dawn French's book is better though. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Jennifer Saunders is a British Comedienne, actress, writer, west-end show creator and general National Treasure. She's also survived cancer.

Let's cut to the chase: this is exactly what an auto-biography should be like. I will admit that I only read sports or comedian bios simply because I am in love with athletes and comedians will always write something funny. It's in their bones, the pun is 100% intended.
They should also not be taken too seriously. Piling on 300 pages of serious happ'nings in the back catalogue of your life is pretty boring. Do you want to sit down with Jennifer Saunders, the fat one from French & Saunders, and listen to her tell you, in minute detail, every single second of the way her husband proposed to her? DO YOU? No. You want her to be awesome and share the hilarious stuff in her life, some heart-breaking moments mixed in just to keep it grounded, just as comedy should be.

I am slightly biased. I'm going to admit that right here, right now. I love Jennifer. I love her husband more. I wish I was married to him. Even though he's mega bald. I also hate autobiographies unless they're funny (or related to a hawt piece of totty who places Cricket or Rugby. Let's glaze over that thought for a moment and put it aside.)
I think that's the entire point of an autobiography, in my opinion. Here we are not getting massive family tree explanations. Do you actually know the name and job title of your best friends Grandparents? Probably not. Do you want to know Jennifer's Grandparents names and job titles? WHY ON EARTH FOR. To keep this light, I will not indulge myself in a life-long rant about the Sleb Culture we have engrossed ourselves in.

Instead I will list a few things that you should expect from this book...
A quick rush through Jennifer Saunders life, stopping off at The Comic Strip Presents... French and Saunders, Absolutely Fabulous, Jam and Jerusalem and Viva Forever. Plus some weird film idea she nearly but didn't write for Goldie Hawn with Ruby Wax.
Some good snaps.
An hilarious telling of Jennifer's mummy having a stroke.
Lots of animals.
"Being on Comedy Tour" anecdotes that involve Cher.

No, it isn't an in-depth look at one of the best comedians that has come out of England. No, it isn't exactly in chronological order most of the time. No, it doesn't give you an minute-by-minute explanation of how Ade proposed to her.

But it does give you something: Laughter. The most important thing for a comedian to give.

Incidentally, Dawn French has a bio out too: Dear Fatty. So does Rik Mayall. Ade doesn't. Neither does Nigel, Alexei or Peter. All in good time, though. I hope. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Great book- funny and informative.
  CarolBurnett | Jan 3, 2014 |

Bonkers: My Life in Laughs by Jennifer Saunders - the hilarious, touching life story of the iconic comedian and national treasure Jennifer Saunders' comic creations have brought joy to millions. From Comic Strip to Comic Relief, from Bolly-swilling Edina in Ab Fab to her takes on Madonna or Mamma Mia, her characters are household names. But it's Jennifer herself who has a place in all our hearts. This is her funny, moving and frankly bonkers memoir, filled with laughter, friends and occasional heartache - but never misery. Bonkers is full of riotous adventures: accidentally enrolling on a teacher training course with a young Dawn French, bluffing her way to each BBC series, shooting Lulu, trading wild faxes with Joanna Lumley, touring India with Ruby Wax and Goldie Hawn. There's cancer, too, when she becomes 'Brave Jen'. But her biggest battle is with the bane of her life: the Laws of Procrastination. As she admits, 'There has never been a Plan. Everything has been fairly random, happened by accident or just fallen into place. I'm off now, to do some sweeping...' Prepare to chuckle, whoop, and go Bonkers. Jennifer Saunders is a comedian, writer and actress. She has won three Baftas (including the Bafta Fellowship), an International Emmy, a British Comedy Award, a Rose d'Or, two Writers' Guild Awards and a People's Choice Award. She also has a certificate for coming third in the discus at the Northwich Area Sports championships, and numerous rosettes for clear round jumping and gymkhana on her pony. She lives in Devon and London with her husband Adrian Edmondson. She has three daughters who are all grown up and have left home. They have been replaced with a whippet called Olive. She has recently been forced to become a grandmother despite only being 55. Bonkers is her first book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:01 -0400)

Jennifer Saunders' brilliant comic creations have brought joy to millions for three decades. From Comic Strip to Comic Relief, from Bolly-swilling Edina in Absolutely Fabulous to Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia, her characters are household names. But it's Jennifer herself who has a place in all our hearts. From her childhood on RAF bases, where her father was a pilot, to her life-changing encounter with a young Dawn French, on to success and family, the book charts her extraordinary story, including the slip ups and battles along the way.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,073,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible