Sunkissed by Carys Jones

Sunkissed

by Carys Jones

541,436,638 (3.67)None

I wanted to like this one, I really did. The premise sounds interesting, and it does have promise. I just...couldn't.

I don't know exactly what it is about this book, but it gives me the feeling of "blech" and makes me want to stick out my tongue. It may be the fact it's cliche and not terribly original. It could be the fact it seems way too dramatic for the story given. It could be the incredibly annoying set of male characters. Whatever it is though, I just didn't like it all that much.

It would have been a one star, and probably should be. What prompted me to give it two, however, is the fact it is mildly interesting enough to read if I get into a vampire-story binge. It would be a good intermediate between other vampire books, but it would be one of the ones I'd read for the blech factor, in order to chill me out for the next series. Not exactly a compliment, but it does have a place in my library, which means it gets a star.

Past that, this isn't a book I'd recommend, unless you're looking for the blech kind of dramatic fantasy.

*I received an eCopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Rose.Wallin | Jan 20, 2016 |

Rose.Wallin | Jan 20, 2016 |
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I chose to review this book because I loved the premise! I am a huge fan of historical fiction, and I can't say no to the 'sacrificing anything for love' theme...especially when it has unexpected consequences.

I rate this book four stars - I couldn't put it down and I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel.

This story begins in a small town called Fandova in the mid-19th century. Fandova is presumably somewhere in the American midwest. Dawn is dying, and her mother is ready to let her go, but her fiance, Thomas, is not. Against Dawn's mother's wishes, he seeks out the help of the town's eccentric doctor, who turns her into a vampire.

The first part of the book is very focused on Thomas, and in the beginning he's an extremely likable character. You can feel his love for Dawn and his need to save her life, which pushes him to the ultimate limit, although he doesn't immediately realize the consequences of his actions.

However, when he does find out the consequences, he turns into a completely different person. Dawn, who is reluctant to drink human blood and even hesitates at killing animals to feed, is horrified when she finds out Thomas is not only happy she is a vampire - he wants her to make him one, too. What Dawn sees as a horrible curse, Thomas sees as an opportunity for power and gain.

Thomas seeks out the doctor, who turns him, and rather than feeding on animals, he begins to feed on humans. Unable to stop him, Dawn contemplates suicide, but when she walks into the sun something unexpected happens. She learns she is the first vampire to be able to withstand sunlight.

Fast forward to modern day in New York City. Dawn, hoping that Thomas and the other vampires believe her to be dead, camouflages herself and lives among humans, eating blood sausage to survive. When she falls in love with a human, she is terrified of dragging him into her world, but Ryan accepts her completely. And she believes for awhile that they might be safe...but she learns that it's impossible to hide from the past.

The first part of the book is intriguing but stumbles a bit - the writing does not flow quite as well and there are definitely elements of the story that feel more British than American (the culture of Fandova and some of the wording, like the use of 'black pudding' to describe blood sausage). But the story picks up and the background in the historical part of the book gives the overall plot much more depth than it would have had otherwise.

Dawn is a brilliant, likable heroine - she is strong and though she has her flaws, especially in her desire to believe in Thomas at first, she is also clever and not afraid to go as far as is necessary to protect herself and those she loves. Ryan is supportive and holds his own as a character - their relationship is beautifully written.

I found the mythology of vampires in Carys's world to be extremely interesting - the idea that Dawn is viewed more or less as the savior of the vampires because of her ability to withstand sunlight, and yet she is terrified and resists her powers because she knows that the sadistic, power-hungry vampires would use this ability to torment humans. I am fascinated by the little bits and pieces that Carys reveals sparingly as the book unfolds, and it is this that really kept me hanging on the edge of my seat through the end.

- See more at: http://inksugar.typepad.com/blog/2014/01/review-and-author-interview-sunkissed-b... ( )
  aishahwrites | Jan 8, 2014 |
Sometimes you have to fight for the things that matter most.
An exciting adventure that you won't be able to put down! The story had me riveted from the very beginning with the beautiful imagery and charismatic characters. There was always a bit of mystery shrouding the characters in the beginning and I had a great time figuring everyone out. The mystery and action were well done and had me on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the next turn of the page.
Dawn is a strong and courageous girl who I really admired. She had some tough decision to deal with in the course of the book and even when she wasn't sure of herself she still kept on going, which took a lot of courage. I also really liked that no matter what bad things were thrown at her she never really lost her sweetness. She was still a kind and caring woman who would do anything to help those she loved.
I also liked how the villains of the story weren't just plain evil for no reason. They had depth to them and their actions weren't always strictly black and white. It mad the story that much more interesting.
Ryan is a sweet man and I adored him. He wasn't always sure of himself, but he did his best to be good and help Dawn.
The romance was sweet and not rushed at all. I really liked how the romance developed slowly and how these two characters interacted with one another. I hope to see more of them in future books.
For an exciting and romantic adventure check out Sunkissed by Carys Jones! ( )
  kcody03 | Oct 15, 2013 |

Carys Jones is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,742,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible