The Divorce Ranch by Cathie MacDonald

The Divorce Ranch

by Cathie MacDonald

322,001,085 (4.33)None

What can I say but I love Catherine Macdonald's books. This story is set in 1936, Reno, Nevada, where divorce was done rather secretly at a divorce ranch after only 6 weeks. The women character's are strong and enjoyable to get to know. War is coming and the world is changing. Women are discovering their voices as they fling their wedding rings from the bridge into the Truckee River. Join Maggie, Dorothy, and Claire as they arrive on the Washoe Ranch to rid themselves of their stale marriages, only to end up creating lives they never dreamed possible. ( )
  writingfriend | Sep 4, 2014 |
In the early 1900s, Nevada was the only state where people could divorce without cause, and the proceedings lasted only six weeks instead of the usual one year. Women and men came from all over the US, and staid in ranches until the dissolution of their marriage. The Divorce Ranch is the story of three women seeking a divorce in Reno in 1936. Maggie Carmichael Warner comes from New York, and has a cheating husband who can’t give her any children. Dorothy Adams is a movie star, and wants to get out of an arranged marriage with another actor. Claire Brown would like to divorce her husband who not only cheated on her but also gambled all their fortune. The three women stay at the Washoe Ranch, and become friends. What starts as a rather sad gathering actually turns out to be a blessing in disguise for these women…

I had never heard of divorce ranches before I read this book, and I thought this was an interesting part of American history.The author, Catherine MacDonald, actually lives in Nevada close to where two of the most famous divorce ranches were located. She became intrigued by them when she read an article in a local paper, and decided to set her next novel in a divorce ranch. I thought the subject the author chose was original and interesting, and the book was a fun read. However, the story was a bit too predictable, and the main characters lacked depth, and were too stereotyped. For people looking for some light reading though, this book certainly delivers.

The Divorce Ranch was sent to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

To read the full review, please go to my blog (Cecile Sune - Book Obsessed). ( )
  cecile.sune | Sep 4, 2014 |

It's June of 1936. The Biggest Little City in the World finds itself in the middle of the divorce craze. While the country struggles with the Depression, wealthy people head to Reno for the cure. War is coming and the world is changing. Women are discovering their voices as they fling their wedding rings from the bridge into the Truckee River. Join Maggie, Dorothy and Claire as they arrive on the Washoe Ranch to rid themselves of their stale marriages, only to learn that they had created lives for themselves that they never dreamed possible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:57 -0400)

Catherine MacDonald is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,310,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible