Emotions: Confront the Lies. Conquer with…

Emotions: Confront the Lies. Conquer with Truth.

by Charles F. Stanley

423273,462 (5)None

Dr. Charles F. Stanley explains in his latest book, Emotions: Confront the Lies. Conquer with Truth, that: "God created you and me with the capacity to experience the full gamut of emotions so we could enjoy life, share our inner being with others, and reflect His image. They were given to us as a gift so we could interact meaningfully with our heavenly Father and the people we know. However, in this fallen world, our feelings have become a mixed blessing. The same capacity that allows us to experience intense, overflowing joy is also the gateway to sorrow so deep and overwhelming that, like Job, we may wish we had never been born (Job 3:3)."

Certainly if we were all honest most of us would admit that our emotions can get in the way of us experiencing life to the fullest. A healthy relationship with God and our emotions allows us to enjoy life and connect with others, all while reflecting God's image - but for most of us emotions can get in the way. In this helpful book Dr. Stanley addresses five emotions that can prevent us from living a life filled with joy: fear, rejection, bitterness, guilt, and despair.
Contents:
1 Choosing to Triumph How God Makes Victory Possible
2 What’s Going On Here? God’s Purpose for Our Emotions
3 The Root of All Painful Emotions Identifying the Original Source of Our Woundedness
4 Reviewing the Evidence Recognizing Ingrained Fear by Examining the Consequences
5 The Courage to Stand Conquering Fear Through a Change of Focus
6 Rejection Overcoming the Most Painful Emotion
7 Bitterness Freedom from Misery
8 Guilt Relief from the Ultimate Weight on Your Soul
9 Despair Finding the Light of Hope in the Darkest Hour
10 All the Way to Victory! Looking Beyond Ourselves

Dr. Stanley does a great job extending compassionate understanding, encouragement, and hope to readers, while sharing Biblical insights and personal experiences. He shares that the basic components to triumphing over your emotions include the following: 1. Experiencing the New Birth (A relationship with Jesus) 2. Examining the Thoughts that Dominate Your Life 3. Exchanging Your Thought Patterns 4. Exercising the Powerful Privilege of Prayer 5. Expecting God’s Healing to Begin Immediately.

According to Dr. Stanley our emotions are a gift from God given to us so we can enjoy life, meaningfully relate to others, and reflect the image of God. What holds us back and is the basis of negative emotions is fear. Our own anxieties cause many of our problems. We can trust God because “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds” (Ps. 147:3). Trusting in God will diminish fear.

After each chapter is a series of questions that are helpful for personal reflection or group study. Along with the Biblical principles and passages Dr. Stanley shares, these can help the reader delved deeper into and garner a greater understanding of the material. There was also a list of fifty statements of how God views us that would be very encouraging for anyone who is struggling with self condemnation. Emotions is a great resource and would be an excellent choice for a small group study.

Very Highly Recommended

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of Howard Books via Edelweiss for review purposes.

SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
I read the first chapter and new this was a book I needed to underline and make notes in--I had a library copy so I stopped reading and ordered the book to keep.
This will be one that I will want near me as reference and support.
  Jodeneg | Oct 23, 2015 |
This will be one that I will want near me as reference and support.
  Jodeneg | Oct 23, 2015 |

An exploration from a Christian perspective of the five key emotions that control us, instead of enriching our lives: fear, rejection, bitterness, guilt, and despair.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible