La Vie de Disraëli, extraits. Avec une…

La Vie de Disraëli, extraits. Avec une notice biographique, une notice… (original 1927; edition 1955)

by André Maurois

Member:Carolus
Title:La Vie de Disraëli, extraits. Avec une notice biographique, une notice historique et littéraire, des jugements
Authors:André Maurois
Info:Paris, Larousse, 1955
Collections:Your library, Livres
Rating:***

Disraeli by André Maurois (1927)

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
I found this book interesting but it has been years it would deserve a reread to be fair to it. ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Nov 2, 2013 |
"Dizzy" marries older woman for money and becomes Prime Minister of England, in service to Queen Victoria. Dies with a very modest estate.
  keylawk | Sep 12, 2013 |
I like Maurois as a writer, and I find Disraeli interesting, though I do not admire him as much as I did when I was young. I only just got this copy, but I believe I read the book many years ago. ( )
  antiquary | Jun 29, 2013 |
Disraeli and Gladstone have long been fixed in mind as iconographic rivals of British politics during the reign of Queen Victoria, but this brief, impressionistic biography by Andre Maurois gave me some sense of both men's characters. It is not long on chronology or specific facts, but it does portray Disraeli very sympathetically and as a human being rather than just a political figure. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Flowery and well-written biography of Disraeli, the dandy/prime minister. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |

André Mauroisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miles, HamishTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peyre, HenriIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Das Leben ist zu kurz, um klein zu sein. (Disraeli)
In the year 1290, on All Saints' Day, King Edward I expelled the Jews from England.
The subtle poetry of a British Budget is perhaps the most recondite art for an unfortunate who, like Disraeli, has not been reared from infancy by the Muses of Westminster.

1928. A picture of the Victorian Age. This work is a biographical account of Benjamin Disraeli. Disraeli was the 1st Earl of Beaconsfield, a politician and author. He succeeded Lord Derby as Prime Minister, resigning shortly after the election in 1868, only to become Prime Minister again in 1874. He became an intimate friend to Queen Victoria, having her assume the role of Empress to India while he was Prime Minister.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:43 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,280,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible