The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle…

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry (2014)

by Gabrielle Zevin

3,1673751,768 (4)293
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (Pigletto)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald (Micheller7)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: The Storied Life of AJ Frikry is based off of Silas Marner.
    The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay (carriehh)
    Small Blessings: A Novel by Martha Woodroof (Electablue)
    Perfect by Rachel Joyce (Pigletto)
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (bell7, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    bell7: Though one is set in contemporary times on a fictional island of the coast of Massachusetts and the other in post World War II England, both books show the importance of story and have an optimistic tone while dealing with some of life's challenges.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A love of literature helps protagonists form unlikely but rewarding new relationships in these tender stories of personal redemption. The vibrant characterization, gently humorous tone, and whimsical, heartwarming narratives shine in compelling novels that illustrate the power of reading.… (more)

English (381)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (386)
Who doesn't love a book that celebrates books and reading? Throw in a story about a lovable group of characters that have no strong dissonance in their personalities, just a group trying to live their lives, some parenting struggles, relationship hardships and romance, a small mystery, "mistaken" identity, car crashes, illnesses, and more, and you've got a lovely tale that captivates the heart and sheds a light on the important things in life. (phew, what a sentence!)
It's sweet, heart-warming, and tear-jerking. I liked the discussions and references to literary works (that occur more in the first half than the latter, when the drama of the story takes centre stage) but it was good. It's set on the east coast, but I kept thinking it was a west coast, BC-esque setting. No matter, it's still enjoyable. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |
I read this book in one day. I loved every page. And I couldn't turn them fast enough!
The characters were solid, and real. Loved the parts where the voice of the child was utilised. But my favourite parts were the snippets of book recommendations at the start of every chapter. I've never had the sort of relationship with a bookshop that AJ Fikry has with his customers, but I wish more than anything that I did.
Romance, but literary, tragic, but heart warming. Inevitable but giving.
I recommend this book without hesitation. ( )
  Kiwimrsmac | Nov 29, 2017 |
This one gets a full five stars - I would give it more if the rating scale allowed! It is moving, poignant, extravagant, troubling, hopeful, pessimistic and optimistic all at once. The story is imaginative and the plot is fascinating, but it is really the characters that make this story one of my favorites of all time - the characters come alive as you read and in a way very reminiscent of Jan Karon's Mitford, Alice Island becomes a place where you can visualize yourself living and walking down the street and entering Island bookstore. The story is about a widower owner of a bookstore who, in his loss, is going through the motions of daily life. He is drinking himself to death in a dying business - a bookstore. Then a distraught single mother leaves her baby for him right before she commits suicide and his whole life changes. He finds love, life, happiness. But like life itself, amidst his living and growing he also finds heartache and despair. One reviewer I read commented that you won't want it to end, and I agree. But even in the ending Zevin offers new beginnings and amid the sometimes desperate sadness of life this story also tells a tale of hope. A wonderful read! ( )
  Al-G | Nov 21, 2017 |
This novel is a rare combination of substance and being a page-turner. My initial impression, especially during the first chapter when A.J. and Amelia first meet and get off on the wrong foot (feet?), was that this was going to be an enjoyable "beach read" . But this turns out to be so much more than that. All the bookish love and literary references in this novel makes it even better. In addition, having A.J. introduce each chapter with an recommendation of a short story to his daughter was a very nice touch.

This was a very satisfying read, and I'll be on the look out for Gabrielle Zevin's other works. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Oct 17, 2017 |

let's adore one another
before there is no more
of you and me.
—Rumi
For my parents, who furnished my formative years with books, and for the boy who gave me The Stories of Vladimir Nabakov all those winters ago.
On the ferry from Hyannis to Alice Island, Amelia Loman paints her nails yellow and, while waiting for them to dry, skims her predecessor's notes.
They had only ever discussed books but what, in this life, is more personal than books? (p. 18)
You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question, What is your favorite book? (p. 87)

Paperback

When his most prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, is stolen, bookstore owner A. J. Fikry begins isolating himself from his friends, family and associates before receiving a mysterious package that compels him to remake his life.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gabrielle Zevin's book The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,731,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible