Smoke and Mirrors - The Suspicious Deaths of…

Smoke and Mirrors - The Suspicious Deaths of the Bioweaponeers

by C. R. Harris

91950,433 (4)None

Chloe is a French journalist who has remarried an Algerian, Walid. He is often missing but she figures it is because he will travel to appraise art and determine if his client would want it. Now it seems there are government agents after her and not just French ones. She has been given a story from a friend in America about the deaths of bioscientists who have been studying DNA and biological weapons. What is scaring the governments about her research of her story?

This is a fascinating book. She has used documents about this as the basis of her story. It is truly chilling that this research is going on. It is also chilling that the spies work together when it is in their best interests and turn a blind eye if what is occurring does not affect their work and goals. I liked Claire. She is a pawn but she works the different angles of the story as the spies and she work each other. I never could tell what angle her husband, Walid, was working. Was he innocent as he claimed? Was he also a pawn? Was he more involved than anyone knew? I liked how the story switched between the characters and the places of the novel. The story is Chloe's but there is much going on behind the scene that we readers know about but Chloe does not.

The proofreading and editing hurt the story. There were times when I had to re-read sections because the scene changed between sentences in the middle of a paragraph. Some parts could have used more fleshing out to clarify what was happening and who was involved in the story.

This is a story that should be read. I fell into the story and wanted to know what was happening and why. It is very timely. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jun 11, 2014 |

Being mugged by a spook, if you’re a journalist, is a good sign your story is more about the sinister truth and less mad conspiracy. International journalist Chloe Moreau is drawn into the intelligence world where secret services collaborate as well as compete for information. It isn’t only her investigation that is worrying the intelligence community, her husband has links with an Al Qaeda money-laundering project. Chloe needs information from MI5 and they need her help to bring down the terrorist plot. Can Chloe get the proof she needs to publish her findings? And can MI5 prevent the imminent terrorist attack on England? "I really enjoyed this book! It was not a book to read before going to bed! I would start it when I finally had time at night to read and it would keep me up at night! It is sooo suspenseful and detailed that I couldn't put it down. I would stay up until the wee hours and then feel sleepy all the next day! Needless to say, I stopped reading it at bedtime!" "An interesting theme with complex plotting." "The difficulties of writing a torture scene – with the delicate balance between understatement and overstatement – should not be underestimated. However, Harris has risen to the challenge admirably." "The drama in the spine of the overall story does convey a wonderful milieu of menace and unease. There is plenty for the reader to do, and that is always a good indication of the writer’s engagement with the subject." "This is a story about a multi-national journalist who becomes drawn into a terrorist plot. It covers the globe with modern power blocks and old cold-war tensions all in play. The tension steadily builds to a dramatic scrambling climax to avoid disaster. This is not a tale of super-heroes. The characters are believable, both strong and weak, smart and mistaken. After about 1/4 of the book, I was hooked and had to finish the book". *****

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:18 -0400)

International journalist Chloe Moreau is drawn into the intelligence world while investigating the mysterious deaths of bioweaponeers. Her investigation brings her to the attention of M15, which needs her help to stop a terrorist attack on England.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

C.R. Harris's book Smoke and Mirrors - The Suspicious Deaths of the Bioweaponeers was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,548,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible