The Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina…

The Half Life of Molly Pierce

by Katrina Leno

The first-half of this book was quite intriguing. I liked Molly from the start, and she was a relatable narrator. Struggling with the depths of depression as well as her blackouts, I could sympathise with her feelings of confusion and hopelessness. However, what did annoy me was all Molly's internal monologues. In one sentence she was having a conversation with another character then, without warning, she'd turn inwards and finish what she was saying in her head.

Unfortunately, I found that the second-half dragged and I had worked out where the story was heading by then so I wasn't surprised by the reveal. Also, I didn't believe the romance between Molly and Sayer, although I must say I loved Hazel and Clancy, Molly's younger siblings. The relationship between the three of them was extremely touching.

"The Half Life of Molly Pierce" has been described on more than one occasion as 'an intriguing psychological thriller,' but I found that it lacked suspense and depth, and I think many younger readers will just find it confusing. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Apr 1, 2017 |
I loved this. I was constantly asking "what's going on!?"
It was like a junior suspense novel and it was awesome.

The end was a little weak, but after such a good buildup, I'm not sure where else she could have gone with it... One star off for the ending. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
  Bookman1954 | Oct 23, 2015 |
Molly doesn't remember hours of her life. There are big black holes of time that she cannot account for, but a tragic incident sheds new light onto her memory lapses as she begins to realize that everyone around her seems to already know what she does not. Leno's mesmerizing story is a quick, but tense read. As Molly recalls crucial parts of her life in reverse, the inquisitive reader begins to form plausible explanations for so many unanswered questions. The surprising answers are quickly and deftly explained as the book comes to its comforting finish. Worth reading again to really understand how contrary situations and interesting characters fit together, young adult readers will empathize with teenage Molly's identity struggles as the puzzle pieces are put together. ( )
  MzzColby | Aug 15, 2015 |
Review courtesy Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This novel was an intriguing psychological thriller.

Opening Sentence: There are long stretches where I don’t remember anything.

The Review:

Molly is having troubles. She has gaps in her memory — some small, some large, but happening more and more frequently. She’ll be taking a test in history and then she’ll find herself in her car four hours later, in a completely different city. Her therapist isn’t helping, though he tries. Her parents or friends don’t know, and she’d like to keep it that way. But Molly’s life really nosedives when a motorcycler who knows her name, one she’s never met before in her life, dies in front of her. And it soon becomes obvious that everyone else knows more about what’s going on than she does. Through flashbacks, Molly begins to remember…But she won’t like everything she sees.

The Half Life of Mary Pierce was a psychological thriller. Going into it, I had been sure it was going to have science fiction aspects or parallel universes or something of that sort, but nope. The lack of those elements didn’t lesson my enjoyment, however, and I thought that The Half Life of Mary Pierce was a decent novel. It was super short with its spare 200 pages, so there wasn’t much room to get bored despite the lack of action. The writing was intriguing, laying out an eerie, mysterious tone, and the book starts off with a bang. You immediately are introduced to Molly’s problem, how she is losing periods of time and has gaps in her memory, and then you watch as one of the people from Molly’s missing time dies.

I felt for Molly’s plight. It was a rough one to be in. At certain points she would wonder, do I even like living anymore? And she wouldn’t know. Sure, there were a couple things holding her to earth, but Molly wasn’t too invested in living sometimes and it was hard to watch. Mabel is Molly’s alter, the other side of her. You don’t know how she came into being and why Molly split her personality until the end of the book, and it isn’t a huge surprise, but interesting all the same. She is the more daring side: she’s not different in looks, but demeanor; the way she holds her shoulders, the confidence in the way she walks, those are the things that set her apart.

Lyle was Molly’s friend. We meet Lyle through flashbacks, never really getting to meet him in Molly’s present timeline because he dies in the first few chapters. I actually disliked him. I didn’t find his personality attractive and how he held over Molly what she owed him. On the other hand, there’s his brother, Sayer. Sayer isn’t my favorite either but I don’t dislike him. He’s just kind of so-so. And since Molly discovering Mabel is really the driving force of the plotline in the story, I didn’t mind their romance along the way. Molly’s personality and point of view flows really smoothly, so I found her an enjoyable character, as well as her sister Hazel. She’s smart. Molly’s best friends added some normalism to the novel and a sense of reality that grounded Molly.

Altogether, The Half Life of Molly Pierce was a decent read that I found a worthwhile experience. It was super short and easy to fall into. The story is laced with elements of intrigue, honesty, and there is a unique writing style. I wish I could have had an epilogue, because the story ends a little bit up in the air. This is the first psychological thriller I’ve read and I found it a good book — though, in the future, I don’t think I’ll read much more from this genre. I’m more of a science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary girl myself. I’d recommend this to mystery lovers looking for a fresh new story that is simple and quick to read.

Notable Scene:

He’s waiting for me by the back door and I throw myself into his arms. That feeling. The one where he is one side of a magnet and I am one side of another magnet and I am one side of another magnet and we are constantly reaching out to each other. It’s stronger now.

I take him by surprise. He laughs at first and then he puts his arms around me. When I don’t pull away, he says my name like a question. Like he’s checking to see who I am.

“Molly?”

FTC Advisory: HarperTeen provided me with a copy of The Half Life of Molly Pierce. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Feb 15, 2015 |

"Molly, a seventeen-year-old girl who suffers from dissociative identity disorder, has played host to Mabel, a completely distinct personality, for most her life. When Molly faces a crisis Mabel doesn't know she can handle, Mabel lets Molly in on her secrets"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible