Short Stories for the Hopeful and the Weary…

Short Stories for the Hopeful and the Weary

by Scott Roloff

Short Stories for the Hopeful and the Weary, by Scott Roloff, consists of four well written stories. The first story, Nicoli's Birthday, is the touching story of an adoption with an unexpected ending. A Lifetime Until Dawn deals with the horror of war. In Saturday's Crossroad the author eloquently tells the story of an unfaithful husband's shocking discovery of his wife's plans. The God and the Devil is the fascinating story of an interview with the devil.
These are interesting stories with depth and packed with emotion. I recommend reading the collection.

I received this book free of charge through LibraryThing and I give this review of my own free will. ( )
  SAMANTHA100 | Nov 17, 2014 |
This is a short but very interesting collection of short vignettes that look at life from different perspectives. I particularly enjoyed the first story, which involves adoption a foreign born child by and American couple. I knew almost from the start the way the tale would turn out but I still found myself reading eagerly to the end. The reporter’s interview with the devil, also one of the stories, was fascinating. I had never really looked at the devil in this way before. The book is short. The writing is very good and very concise (something short stories require to be good). I recommend this for anyone who enjoys reading something short but different and definitely well done. The stories are short enough to be read while waiting for an appointment but will provide very good reading. I received this from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Nov 10, 2014 |
These short stories really made me stop and think. For some reason, the one about God and the devil still sticks out in my mind. I don't know if these stories made me any more hopeful, but they did certainly pique my curiosity. ( )
  sealford | Dec 21, 2013 |
Good title for a compilation of short stories. All four stories have something to offer. You will probably have your own take on which are for the hopeful and for the weary. All four a well written and each engaged me for different reasons.

"Nicoli's Birthday", the first short story, is a hopeful orphan tale but the Nicoli character I found slightly disturbing in a weary sort of way.

"A Lifetime Until Dawn" was shocking, as the violent event was dealt with in such a common place manner, which made it all the more thought provoking.

"Saturday's Crossroad" a normal tale of marriage told in an eloquent and absorbing way.

"God an the Devil" not sure about this one. I think I will just go and read it again.

I would recommend this book. ( )
  jimleask | Nov 5, 2013 |
Like the title, this book contain short stories to give hope for the weary. I enjoy reading the stories, except for the last one, when a priest interviewed a Devil. I can't grasp what is the hope offered in this story, because I think it's not a hopeful story but ambiguous, twisted, and confused story. But overall, I like the writer's style on offering his stories. I don't know if this story is real or a fiction, but if it's real then it's really an amazing story for the weary. ( )
  andyfeb | Oct 29, 2013 |

Four short stories, each with a twist that will puzzle and perplex.

Nicoli’s Birthday – A young couple travel to Moscow to adopt a child on the eve of war.

A Lifetime Until Dawn – A soldier endures another sleepless night pondering the war atrocities that he committed, or did he?

Saturday’s Crossroad – A husband contemplates life without his wife.

God and the Devil – A journalist interviews the Devil, whose truth is quite different than what we’ve been told.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Scott Roloff's book Short Stories for the Hopeful and the Weary was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Scott Roloff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,242,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible