Sisters in Bloom by Melissa Foster

4 "Life Changes" Stars for the story and narration.

In the continuation of the Snow sisters story about navigating love and their careers, in Sisters in Bloom, Ms. Foster delivers another book that is sure to entice women's fiction lovers. Please note though, that this title builds on the story of the Snow sisters that Ms. Foster shared with us in Book 1, Sisters in Love, and therefore should only be listened to after that title in order to understand the entire background.

Whereas Sisters in Love focused on therapist, Danica Snow's and Blake Carter's love life, the primary heroine and hero in Book 2, Sisters in Bloom, is Danica's singer, sister, Kaylie Snow, and her fiance, Chaz Crew. However, for those of you that loved Danica and Blake, do not fret, as they still play a crucial role, and their relationship and the conflicts they must navigate along the way, continue to play a strong secondary role in this book.

Kaylie Snow is used to enjoying life and being the life of the party. Having become comfortable in her role as the more carefree sister and her career as a singer, the impending birth of her first (unplanned) child is causing her to reevaluate her priorities and what she expects from her life. The fact that the clubs who used to book her singing gigs, now also refuse to hire her (both now while pregnant and even more alarming after the baby's arrival) is further complicating Kaylie's ability to process just what her next stage in life will look like. Additionally, having a serious relationship for the first time in her life--one which was precipitated or at least sped along by her unplanned pregnancy--is causing its own strain as Kaylie and Chaz try to settle into a different stage of their relationship.

Further complicating matters is a rather determined ex-hook up of Chaz's who also happens to have a tie-in to his career. As a film festival producer, Chaz has to entertain the festival's sponsors. Unfortunately for Chaz, his old flame is used to getting her way and is determined to have Chaz back in her bed. Furthermore the fact that the old flame also happens to be one of his upcoming film festival's largest sponsors makes her impossible to ignore. Therefore although Chaz is equally committed to seeing her gone, her ability to influence his business is making this a rather delicate situation that requires that he interact with her without falling into her web.

Meanwhile Danica in an effort to support her sister has big news of her own, but doesn't feel like she can move on with her life while her sister is going through such a difficult time.

Will Kaylie be able to sleuth the mystery of her current profession and personal identity crisis? Just what direction will her future career and relationship take? Moreover, will Chaz be able to steer the murky waters created by his former lover and current business partner and remain faithful to Kaylie? Lastly, will Danica be able to comfortably pursue her HEA when her sister's life is in such turmoil?

Surprisingly, for a story based on the lives of sisters, male narrator BJ Harrison manages to render a compelling narration of Sisters in Bloom. Mr. Harrison has a smooth, melodic voice that entrances the listener. Although he doesn't provide a lot of differentiation between his male and female characters, I generally had no trouble following this story, and felt that Mr. Harrison did a good job of maintaining consistency of voices across the two books.

All in all, if you're looking for a story about the quandaries of motherhood, and identity crisis that many of us inevitably go through when we face life changing events in our lives--like the birth of a first child, career changes or struggles, and marriage--Sisters in Bloom is sure to be a story that women fiction lovers can identify with.

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes. ( )
  B.J.O. | Jan 22, 2017 |
Kaylee certainly shines in this segment of the series. We are given much more insight to who really is. With all the events taking place in her life she really comes out with flying colors. There were occasions that her inability to just handle things weakened my faith in her though. A little too much rollercoaster emotion from this character. I loved the sister dynamics that are explored further. Danica still playing a major role as the big sister and the issues with her mother gave a lot honesty to and added much appeal to the story.

3.5 stars

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
I'm a bit torn while writing this review. I found this book well written but the storyline lacking. The main female character drove me a bit nuts! I guess I like my female characters stronger with more character than the one in this book. Not a bad read but it took patience for me to finish it. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |

Now well into her pregnancy, Kaylie’s entire life has changed, and at times she’s not sure it’s for the better. She has the man she loves and a baby on the way, but her singing gig has been put on hold, and her fiance Chaz is having problems of his own. Add in his old flame, a woman Kaylie didn’t know about until now, and things are about to get a lot more crazy than she’s used to.

Always the more practical sister, Danica is taking a chance as well. Having given up her private practice to open a youth center, her carefully planned future is entirely up in the air. And as her relationship with Blake moves forward, she’s having trouble giving up full control to whatever the future has in store.

The Verdict: The first book was good, but I have to admit that I enjoyed this one so much more. The relationship between the two sisters was front and center, and while they each had their own relationships going now, the story was about more than just romance.

Danica and Kaylie have had a complicated relationship, and their differences are even more obvious now that they’re in similar places in their lives. Kaylie’s recklessness has destined her to be a mother before marriage, the absolute last thing she ever expected, and that complete change to her life has her acting out more than usual.

Danica is also venturing out of her “safe” zone, having fallen in love with Blake and given up her original career plans for something more fulfilling. Watching these two navigate the new paths their lives have taken is an adventure in itself, but add in their banter and sometimes rivalry, and it’s quite the rollercoaster.

Through it all, Blake and Chaz are pretty awesome, though. Granted, Chaz hasn’t handled the situation with his ex very well, but it’s not because he had bad intentions — just that he can be as stupid as the next guy when it comes to relationships. I’m interested to see what happens next in Sisters in White, since I’m sure the relationships between the sisters and with their men will have a few more twists to throw at us. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
Originally posted to Bunny's Review

This is a very interesting series. I read the first book before the second. I personally think it helps to read all these books.

First Kaylie seems like a spoiled brat that enjoys throwing a temper tantrum when she does not get her way. Sometimes she reminded me of a child kicking and screaming while laying on the floor. Her actions reminds me of a distant relative. Their philosophy what’s is yours is mine and what’s mine is mine.

Really liked Chaz, he seems like a down to earth guy. Someone willing to go out of his way just to help a friend.

This was an enjoyable read.

The bunnies and I give this book carrots.

All views are my own and do not reflect those of the author, my clients or tour companies I work with. This is not a paid review. To form your own opinion please support the author and acquire your own legal copy of the book. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |

Melissa Foster is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Melissa Foster chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 1, 2009 to Oct 15, 2009. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible