Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop by…

Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop

by Jenny Colgan

This is a sequel to ‘Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams’ - but as the author tells us in a prologue, it really doesn’t matter. She provides a quick overview of the first book, explaining all that needs to be known, and indeed it proved to be sufficient. Or, nearly so. I could get right into the story immediately, and had little problem remembering who was whom from the fairly large cast of characters. But there were some moments when I felt a bit like a newcomer in a room of old friends: they’re all welcoming and friendly, but I’m aware of missing out on the nostalgia of their shared history.

Rosie and Stephen are great main characters and I could relate to them well. While most of the minor characters are somewhat caricatured, and the plot is full of dramatic, even clichéd situations - among others: a nerdy child whose ‘earth mother’ is about to have a new baby, a lovely gay doctor, a confused elderly man, a threat to the school - it’s a very readable book which makes ideal reading in the runup to Christmas. And there are some quite moving sections too; I particularly enjoyed the rapport that developed between Rosie and her small superhero-loving niece.

Fluffy chick-lit? Undoubtedly. With a satisfying, if predictable ending. I thought it well-written, as well as mildly amusing in places, and with a bonus of entirely avoiding explicit intimacy, even though there’s a bit more bad language than I’m comfortable with. It’s not a story that will stick in my mind, and it didn’t make me pause to ponder or even wish the book were longer; but it was a pleasant read which I enjoyed, with the added bonus of some simple sweet recipes at the back.

Three and a half stars would be fairer. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Revisits the story from Sweetshop of Dreams with some twists, now you know the characters, now they're snowed in. Stephen is starting teaching when a truck collides with the school, landing Stephen in hospital and Edison seriously injured. Then a man joins the home Lilian is in, and Lilian is convinced she knows him from somewhere and Rosie's family have decided to visit from Australia, for Christmas.

The future could change everything.

It's fun, light stuff but entertaining. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 7, 2015 |

Rosie Hopkins is looking forward to Christmas in the little Derbyshire village of Lipton, buried under a thick blanket of snow. Her sweetshop is festooned with striped candy canes, large tempting piles of Turkish Delight, crinkling selection boxes and happy, sticky children. She's going to be spending it with her boyfriend, Stephen, and her family, who are flying in from Australia. She can't wait. But when a tragedy strikes at the heart of their little community, all of Rosie's plans for the future seem to be blown apart. Can she build a life in Lipton? And is what's best for the sweetshop also what's best for Rosie?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,571,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible