The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle) by…

The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle) (edition 2014)

by Miles Cameron

Member:elliotss10
Title:The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle)
Authors:Miles Cameron
Info:Orbit (2014), Paperback, 640 pages
Rating:**

The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron

mom (270)

Got to page 206 of a little over 600 and I don't care. I may revisit it at some stage but I'm finding it a huge messy slog and keep abandoning it to read other things. When you keep promising yourself you can change books when you reach the end of another chapter there's something wrong.
  wyvernfriend | Mar 7, 2016 |
In my opinion not as good as the first book - I felt the pacing was to quick - many threads under-developed and too much of the structure felt rushed. Still I felt it was pretty good - overall 85% ( )
  jason9292 | May 29, 2014 |
The Fell Sword is the second book in Miles Cameron’s Traitor Son series. Just like in the Red Knight, the first volume in this series, reading this one gives the impression that the author essentially has fun writing a piece that takes place in a fantasy world that borrows from European 14th century.

The Fell Sword opens with the Red Knight’s mercenary company, fresh off its costly victory in the first book, traveling to “the Empire” for a contract for the Emperor. Things go sideways before they start, however, when the Emperor is kidnapped shortly before the company arrives. Meanwhile Thorn weaves new plots, the Wild roils, the Galles scheme, and the north of Albin recovers.

Cameron’s descriptive powers come to the fore and he creates some action-packed vignettes. The spectacle of many knights mustering on a battlefield is pretty awe-inspiring. You get that huge sense of scope here. Chaos doesn’t seem an appropriate enough word to do these moments justice.

The fantastical elements in the novel are sometimes quite subtle; but in other cases wildly overt. The mythical beings that inhabit the Wild are starting to play a larger role in the plot, and more and more are being introduced.

I’m very much looking forward to volume 3 – hope the wait is not too long. ( )
  Jawin | Apr 26, 2014 |
...another Cameron winner!

Miles Cameron continues to maintain the tension in this next volume of his highly addictive Traitor Son series.
Heroic fantasy complete with heart-stopping, exhausting battles, palace intrigues, geo-political manoeuvres and the occasional romance all mixed up with knights, mercenaries, magisters and creatures of the Wild in this medieval referencing landscape. Oh and did I mention boggles, trolls and irks. Renegade sorcerer and aether handler Thorn develops new and more powerful magics. The Red Knight has his hands full! Magister Harmodius still shares his body, and that's a whole 'nother story. The Emperor has been seized, there are spies in the palace, the Red Knight's men are being poisoned, his horses have been killed and assassins are in place. Of course all our favourites are present; Bad Tom, Mags, Sauce, Ser Michael, and Kaitlin to name a few.
Fast paced and compelling. A fitting next chapter!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Mar 11, 2014 |

Loyalty costs money. Betrayal, on the other hand, is free. When the Emperor is taken hostage, the Red Knight and his men find their services in high demand--and themselves surrounded by enemies. The country is in revolt, the capital city is besieged and any victory will be hard won. But the Red Knight has a plan. The question is, can he negotiate the political, magical, real and romantic battlefields at the same time--especially when he intends to be victorious on them all?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,578,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible