Push by Eve Silver

I enjoyed the first two books in this series, but if I were this writer's editor, I'd ask for more of the sci-fi/technology and less of the angsty teen romance. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Action packed sequel that really delivered!!! It picks up right where Rush left off and is pretty much impossible to put down!

Opening Sentence: “MIKI!”

The Review:

Miki was in an accident that should have killed her, but instead she got a second chance. But nothing comes without a price and to pay her debt Miki has to play the Game. Together with a group of teenagers she is forced to fight the Drau, a hostile group of aliens that are trying to take over the world. The only thing stopping them is the mysterious Committee that is in charge of running the game that Miki now finds herself in. Fighting will keep those she loves safe and Miki doesn’t think she can survive losing anyone else.

The Committee has set very strict rules, but they have secrets. Secrets that could endanger the sole people Miki is trying to protect. How can she trust someone that isn’t completely honest with her especially when the information could lead to life or death in the Game. Then a line is crossed and Miki realizes that she can’t rely on anyone else but herself if she wants to survive!

Miki is a wonderful heroine that is so easy to like. She has so many great qualities, but at the same time she is far from perfect which just made her even more realistic. She is smart, caring, loyal, and just an all around good person. She has had to deal with a lot of lose in her life and that has left some very deep emotional scars, but it has also made her a stronger person. There are times when she is a little rash and she has a temper. But she owns up to her flaws and I really like that. I think she is a person that is easy to relate to and I could really respect her. I developed a strong connection with Miki in the first book and Silver did a great job making me fully reconnect with her all over again.

I didn’t think it was possible, but I liked Jackson even more in this book. There is just something so sexy about a boy that knows how to take control. He is a born leader and that has kept him alive in the game all these years. He puts on a mean front but underneath he is a very caring person. You get to know him so much better which made me understand and respect him on a whole new level. He loses some of the mystery that he had in the first book but it is so worth knowing more about him. The way he treats Miki is so freaky adorable. They have amazing chemistry but they also complement each other really well. Jackson is totally swoon worthy and I can’t wait to read more about him in the next book.

Push picks up right after the awful cliff hanger we were left with in Rush. You are thrown right back into the action and I found that this book was pretty much impossible to stop reading. There were so many new developments in the story that kept me very intrigued. There is adventure, romance, and I honestly just found myself completely enjoying everything about this book. The characters were loveable and the romance was done perfectly. Silver’s writing was spot on and she really knows how to weave a captivating story. There is a small cliff hanger at the end of the book, but I personally don’t think it was nearly as bad as the first one, so I was actually really happy about that. I am very excited to read the final book and next year can’t come quickly enough. I would highly recommend this to young adult sci-fi fans or if you are a gamer this would be a perfect read for you.

Notable Scene:

Two options: right or left. Only one will take me back to Luka, Tyrone, Kendra, and Lien. It should be an easy choice: pick the one that runs in the direction of the green triangles on my con. But it isn’t that easy because all the corridors here branch and angle, so even if I run left now, I might end up running right in a few turns.

I’m alone. And I’m lost.

I’m no fricking leader. I don’t even have eyes on my team.

“Pull it together, Miki,” I mutter.

A crash echoes from behind me, the slam and re bound of the first door against the wall. They’re through. They’ll find me.

I run.

Straight into a Drau.

FTC Advisory: HarperTeen provided me with a copy of Push. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jun 17, 2014 |

"Miki Jones continues to fight the aiens threatening to invade Earth, but begins to doubt the intentions of the Committee who send teams on these missions"--

Eve Silver is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible