Saving Toby by Suzanne McKenna Link

This book was really good, it took a not so common approach to love, and it could actually happen in real life as well. Claudia is a good girl, the daughter of the sheriff, and Toby is from a family that is known around town as a problem. When Toby's mom gets sick, Claudia just happens to need a job at the same time, so it worked out perfectly for her to be able to get to know her former high school classmate. As Claudia gets closer to Toby's mom, she also gets closer to Toby, and they all share a special relationship that lasts even after Toby's mom passes away. It is a great story about two people finding love in the midst of tragedy. ( )
  jlynnp79 | May 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Members Giveaways.

What a sad but sweet and hopeful love story. Makes me want my own TOBY! Oh well thats what books are for. Live a fantasy while a few hundred words last. Great job Ms McKenna Link. Looking forward to the next book. ( )
  Ash_P | Mar 8, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. Toby and Claudia's relationship developed in unexpected ways and with a lot of ups and downs. I found myself really caring about the characters and wanting them to be happy. Really looking forward to the sequel! ( )
  PhDinHorribleness | Dec 20, 2015 |
I was on the fence between 3 and 4 stars. I gave this 3. This is a good book. It is well written, but this story has been written so many times, and I have read it so many times. I will read more by this author.

The good:

-this author is very good at describing a scene. I feel like I just watched an episode of Dawson's Creek or Awkward.

-Toby is funny. I laughed out loud a couple of times while reading this.

-This wasn't the love at first sight type of story.

-The way the character's are written are spot on for their age. Thy don't

The downside (these are my dislikes so I won't call this "The bad"):

-The sex/lovey scenes felt too detailed and drawn out. I love a good sex scene, bt I don't need to know exactly where Toby's knee was placed. It felt more described then necessary.

-this book, like the sex scenes, seemed too drawn out for me, it is set over, a 2 year period.

-I knew exactly what was going to happen, before it happened. Like I said, this story has been told so many times.

Won in goodreads giveaway. ( )
  JLynFox | Aug 13, 2015 |

When Claudia accepts a job caring for the frail Mrs. Fray, she isn't sure what to expect -- other than her father's disapproval. After all, she's got one son in prison for murder, a late husband who killed a couple while driving drunk, and another son who isn't exactly known for staying out of trouble. But she definitely doesn't expect to fall in love with him.

Toby hasn't had it easy. The father his mother adored is the one he remembers as drunk and violent, and the older brother who should have protected him wasn't much better. In fact, if his mother wasn't sick, he'd probably still be a thousand miles away, far from the memories of a broken upbringing and the judgmental looks from everyone in town. But for all his problems, he can't leave his mother alone. And he can't take his eyes off the beautiful girl taking care of her, even if she's way too good for someone like him.

With our book review schedule so filled up, it took me a while to get to this one, and within the first chapter, I was kicking myself for waiting. On the surface, the characters and setting are so unfamiliar to me that I shouldn't have been able to fall into the story so easily. Life north of the Red River is a foreign concept for me, with characters whose lives are altogether different than anything I've known. Their usual way of speaking is like another language, and there's a culture there that I simply don't understand. These characters definitely aren't on a farm in Texas. But damned if I didn't get so hooked that it was impossible to put the book down.

Claudia is good and responsible, planning out every step of her life and beginning to push back against the overprotective father who's reluctant to let her make her own decisions. She's got her career plans mapped out, her application in to USC, and a new job to carry her over until she packs up to get her degree in California.

Toby is the kind of boy her father always warned her about. More than just your romance novel bad boy, he's got an ugly past and a future that doesn't look much better. He's not just a heart of gold wrapped up in bad decisions. Toby has a mean streak, an itch to brawl, and the kind of friends that make enemies look pleasant. But Claudia piques his interest in a way no other girl has, and he finds himself doing everything he can to make her give him a chance.

There were so many times Saving Toby could have easily turned into just another star-crossed lovers story. Toby could have quickly become a better man for Claudia. She could have given him a chance too soon. They could have worked through everything too easily, and their problems could have simply been erased with some perfectly-timed twist of fate. Instead, they took the more realistic route, the one that had him screwing up and her holding him off and them both dealing with the kind of angst that makes people say awful things. It honestly had me wondering if they were ever going to get through it and find some kind of happily ever after, and that's what I loved about it. There was no way of easily guessing what would happen next, even if I was hoping for it -- I couldn't even bring myself to skip to the end for fear of ruining the journey.

Saving Toby is a heartfelt coming-of-age story about two very different people finding a relationship they never expected and trying to hold onto it through everything life at that age brings. It's sweet and angsty and frustrating and believable, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

***FicCentral received this book from *the author* for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here. ( )
1 vote ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
Saving Toby is a heartfelt coming-of-age story about two very different people finding a relationship they never expected and trying to hold onto it through everything life at that age brings. It’s sweet and angsty and frustrating and believable, and I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book.
added by saylink | editFic Central, Ysar (May 8, 2014)

Good Lord!
There are moments in life that stay with you. As he drove away, I knew this was one of them. With vivid clarity, I would remember the day Toby Faye walked into my life as much as the day he walked out of it.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Suzanne McKenna Link's book Saving Toby was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Suzanne McKenna Link is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,263,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible