Walking on Trampolines by Frances Whiting

Walking on Trampolines

by Frances Whiting

I received an ARC copy of this book for review. Being that it is an uncorrected proof, the book could have changed between the time of this review and the book's February release.

I'm really glad I read this book. I've read a lot of coming-of-age stories, but the main character in this story is in her 20s, so it felt easier to connect with her.

Walking on Trampoline tells the story of Tallulah "Lulu" de Longland, and all of the people that have come into her life as she navigates how to become the person she wants to be (or already is). There's love and loss, huge mistakes and big triumphs. It's a story of imperfect characters in imperfect relationships. Lulu commits an... indecent act at the beginning of the story and goes through out the rest trying to understand how her past has affected her future. I promise it's not as cliched as it sounds. There were times when I was frustrated with Lulu, but I think it was because she was saying and thinking the things I think to myself. Confused, self-conscious, undermining things that we tell ourselves, in turn limiting ourselves from truly living.

I finished it a few days ago and still can't find exactly the right words to describe it. I know that I liked it very much, and I know it's a book I'll pick up again, and lend to friends, and recommend to others. The characters are beautiful. I especially loved Rose, Lulu's mother, and her affinity for naming her dresses. I've been working in the costumes and textiles department of a museum with women who do exactly the same thing with the pieces in the collection, and it put such a smile on my face. ( )
  CarleyShea | Mar 3, 2015 |
This book tackles a lot of different issues. At it's heart, it's about betrayal, forgiveness and friendships. It also deals with mental illness, first loves and crippling self-doubt. These issues are all dealt with in very real and sometimes poignant ways. The characters are all well-drawn and complex. I didn't particularly like any of them, but I understood their feelings and motivations even if I didn't always agree with them.

In terms of plot, I found a lot of the book to be predictable. I almost always knew what was about to happen and what decisions Lulu would make. It seemed that despite the betrayal that haunts her, Lulu is actually a pretty lucky girl. Great opportunities seem to pretty much fall in her lap. That didn't sit well with me. This book is much more focused on the characters and their development than the plot. For many readers this will be just fine, but I found it a little lacking.

Overall, while I enjoyed the read, this is not a book that will stick with me long-term. I didn't really connect with any of the characters and I didn't feel fulfilled by the plot or the resolutions to the storylines. However, I think the themes explored and these characters will resonate with many other readers and this is definitely worth a read if this is a genre you like or if you're a fan of books exploring female friendships. ( )
  CherieReads | Jan 27, 2015 |
I received "Walking on Trampolines" from Net Galley for an honest review. Lulu and Annabelle could not be more different. Annabelle is wealthy and her parents are artists. Lulu is the daughter of a plumber. The one thing they both have in common is: both their families are dysfunctional. They are close friends for years, until Annabelle betrays Lulu. After the betrayal, Lulu is depressed and filled with self-doubt. Years later Lulu has a choice to remain a "good girl" or give in to the temptation of revenge. The characters and their reactions were believable. I could rally identify with the pain that Lulu was feeling. I did not blame her for the choice she made. One good turn deserves another. I could not put this book down. ( )
  pixiedark | Jan 24, 2015 |
I received the book Walking on Trampolines by Francis Whiting for review. I had never heard of this author, but I gave this book a whirl.

A description of the book from Goodreads is as follows:

Tallulah de Longland,' she said slowly, letting all the Ls in my name loll about lazily in her mouth before passing judgement. 'That,' she announced, 'is a seriously glamorgeous name.'

From the day Annabelle Andrews sashays into her classroom, Tallulah 'Lulu' de Longland is bewitched by Annabelle, by her family, and their sprawling, crumbling house tumbling down to the river.

Their unlikely friendship intensifies through a secret language where they share confidences about their unusual mothers, first loves, and growing up in the small, coastal town of Juniper Bay. Their lives become as entwined as Annabelle's initials engraved beneath the de Longland kitchen table.

Years later, Lulu is presented with a choice: remain the perpetual good girl who misses out, or finally step out from the shadows and do something extraordinary. And possibly unforgiveable.

It's not how far you fall, but how high you bounce.

This is a coming of age story between two friends from childhood into adulthood. It is a whirlwind of complex and sometimes seemingly insane characters (such as their parents). Lulu and Annabelle have a very honest but complex relationship, which is both a blessing and a curse. This is a story about what it means to appreciate what you have and how to come back from what you’ve lost. Whiting also touches on the difficult things in life, such as young romance, depression, suicide, adultery, etc. but written in such a way so as to not sound trite or cliché. Writing about such topics is difficult but Whiting does a fantastic job of doing it in somewhat of a dark, comedic way with unique characters and a storyline.

I gave this book 3 stars on Goodreads; it was an easy read, a good read, but I didn’t finish the book, close it, and say WOW. I said “hmmm”, interesting but good read.

Guest Reviewer: Kara C.Kelly ( )
  celticlady53 | Jan 7, 2015 |
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through Netgally. Walking on Trampolines is a lovely book. It is very much a familiar book of domestic fiction about family, friends and relationships but it is particularly well done. The writing is very good. Some of the characters are very interesting and sympathetic despite their flaws -- the main character Lulu's mother and boss in particular. And the evolution of Lulu's character -- although predictable -- is very engaging. I must admit that I shed a few tears along the way and definitely had trouble keeping my nose out of this book. It also made me think that this book falls within a genre that a few Australian authors seem to be particularly good at -- Liane Moriarty and Monica McInerney for example. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good cosy -- sometimes sad but heart warming -- story from time to time. I would be happy to read the author's next book. ( )
  Eesil | Dec 29, 2014 |

From the day Annabelle Andrews sashays into her classroom, Tallulah "Lulu" de Longland is bewitched: by Annabelle, by her family, and by their sprawling, crumbling house tumbling down to the river. Their unlikely friendship intensifies through a secret language where they share confidences about their unusual mothers, first loves, and growing up in the small coastal town of Juniper Bay. But the euphoria of youth rarely lasts, and the implosion that destroys their friendship leaves lasting scars and a legacy of self-doubt that haunts Lulu into adulthood. Years later, Lulu is presented with a choice: remain the perpetual good girl who misses out, or finally step out from the shadows and do something extraordinary. And possibly unforgivable. It's not how far you fall, but how high you bounce.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible