Alinor (Bonus features inside) by Roberta…

Alinor (Bonus features inside)

by Roberta Gellis

A good story, but much more a medieval romance than a historical novel. King John's machinations provide background and impetus to the story, but there's nothing specific about it - he could be any ruler with a grudge against the protagonists. I doubt the actual battles mentioned in the story happened, though doubtless similar ones did - unlike in Roselynde and Joanna, the choices made by and about the protagonists don't seem to have much historical effect. It's a very good romance, though - some nicely-handled misunderstanding (a trope I usually hate), solid obstacles of various sorts, and actions entirely in character for every character. Good book. Now I want Gilliane even more. Hope I get it soon. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 2, 2011 |
I was taken with the historical accuracy and characters in Gellis's Magdalene la Batarde mystery series, so I thought I'd try one of her straight romances. Big mistake. Her attention to period detail is as meticulous as ever, but she takes pretty big liberties with some historical personages, especially King John. It's a big leap from "imposed oppressive taxation; slept with his barons' wives" to "conspired to murder his vassals; tortured and killed whores in his spare time."

More to the point, I truly hated Alinor. I don't care how fiery and tempestuous you are, babe, pull a knife on a guy during a perfectly rational argument and we're done. I also disliked how the author frequently uses minor viewpoint characters to comment on Alinor's actions so they can observe how clever (i.e., manipulative) she is without her having to say it herself (and believe me, she would; she's not shy). Ian is a little better, but his reluctance to speak about his feelings leads to a tedious "I love him/her but I can't say so because [insert bogus reason here]" situation on both sides, leading to contrived and unconvincing misunderstandings.

And not even any hot sex to make up for it. ( )
1 vote MuseofIre | Sep 8, 2007 |
Please do not combine this edition (ISBN 0373837046) of Alinor, as the Signature Select edition contains "Bonus Features."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373837046, Mass Market Paperback)

She could barely meet his eyes . . . so how was she to marry him?

Widowed and a mother of two, Lady Alinor no longer feels the same joy being the mistress of Roselynde. Her husband's passing has left emptiness, both at the keep and in her heart. Somehow, Alinor manages to remain spirited, even as King John's rule means she must fight to keep her land and her family safe. Salvation lies with a trusted family friend, Sir Ian De Point, who offers to marry Alinor. In order to protect that which she loves, Alinor reluctantly agrees because England's days are growing darker, along with the ire of King John, who hasn't forgotten the mistress of Roselynde, nor his intentions for her ruination . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,151,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible