With Autumn's Return: A Novel (Westward…

With Autumn's Return: A Novel (Westward Winds)

by Amanda Cabot

If you liked the TV series Dr. Quinn, you will love this book. It’s about a female doctor, Elizabeth Harding, who opens her own clinic in Cheyenne in 1887. She believes that it will be a success right away, but her plans are challenged with the people who don’t believe a woman can be even half as good as a male doctor.

She has an incredible heart to heal everyone, in spite of whom she is treating. Elizabeth reminds me of the nuns on the British TV series, Call the Midwife, who love everyone without passing judgment.

Then there is the young, attractive and available lawyer whose office is right next to the clinic. The argument sparked at their first meeting is a driving force that ends up pulling the two together. A murder takes place and Elizabeth is sure the accused is innocent. She and Jason join forces to uncover the truth.

The romance is wonderful. There are many obstacles though that they must overcome. Forgiveness, trust, hope, ideals, and faith are a few of them.

I very much enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://TMWoodsBooks.com/blog . Also follow me on Twitter @TMWoodsBooks, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/TMWoodsBooks ( )
  TMWoodsBooks | Mar 19, 2014 |
In the world of today, where women and minority ethnic cultures are not only encouraged but often required, by quotas, to work in male dominated careers, it is hard to fathom the trials that someone like Elizabeth had when she attempted to break into the world of doctors. Amanda does a superb job of enlightening us to the hardships that those pioneers went through to bring us the advantages we have in North America, and a few other countries. Although some parents might still have unreasonable expectations of what type of work their children should pursue, by and large, most of us are free to choose for ourselves, and reading this novel made me more thankful at how far we have come in this regard. You have not read the first two in the series, Summer of Promise and Waiting for Spring, you will want to go back to those to find out more about the colorful and memorable characters. This novel can stand on its own.
The characters are complex, and the subplots many, but this only makes for delightful reading. I really enjoyed this, and look forward to more of Amanda's novels.
I received this novel free from Fred at The Book Club Network and Revell Publishers in exchange for an honest review. A positive critique was not required. The opinions are my own. ( )
  mbarkman | Mar 12, 2014 |
With autumn's Return by Amanda Cabot
Wanted to read this book because of the timeframe-1800's and that it is about a part of the country I've yet to visit.
Learned so much reading this book, from the doctor standpoint to just useful information. Love the scenery and the storyline.
Didn't realize this was part of a series. I didn't feel like I was dropped into something I knew nothing about.
This story is about Dr. Elizabeth Harding and she has started new practice in Wyoming. Her sister Charlotte is a dress designer and has set up the rooms and supplies for her and then traveled with her husband to return in the late fall.
Her other sister has lent a hand also but she's with her military husband. Elizabeth is staying with Gwen and her daughter Rose. Her office is right next door to the lawyer, Jason. He has just finished a trial where the man he represented was found not guilty but he confessed he had killed her wife after.
She finds it hard to get new clients and the old dr. puts her down but she proves to him that she knows what she's doing when she is summoned to help.
Over time she also takes on new clients that need help from her in other ways. Lots of relationships in different levels but it's easy to keep track of everybody.
Enjoyed the book and would love to read the others in the series.
I received this book from The Book Club Network (www.bookfun.org) in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Feb 28, 2014 |
I always enjoy books written by Amanda Cabot. “With Autumn’s Return” is no exception. I found this book to be well written and historically interesting.

This story is about Elizabeth Harding, a newly graduated medical doctor, who sets up her new practice in Cheyenne, Wyoming. At this time in history, women doctors were not readily accepted either by the citizenry or by fellow male doctors. It took quite a bit of waiting for someone to come for medical aid. People, especially men, were hesitant to seek treatment from a female because they were considered not to be smart enough, strong enough, or emotionally disposed to be a doctor. This book portrays the difficulties and struggles that Elizabeth encounters in becoming a well-liked and dedicated member of the medical profession.

I enjoyed this book from the first chapter. The story moved along quickly and held my interest throughout. The characters in this novel were very genuine and representative of life in Cheyenne, Wyoming in the late 1880’s.

I was sent a free print copy of this book by Revell Reads in return for my honest assessment of the book posted during the January 2014 Blog Tour.

You can find this review on my blog at http://wp.me/p2pjIt-9F. ( )
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
It was nice to read a Christian historical fiction novel that didn't have a damsel in distress for once. Elizabeth Harding is a tough, no nonsense broad (okay, okay, she's a lady) that defies the sexist stereotypes of the day and becomes a doctor, which for taking place in 1887 AND being an "inspirational" read, is kind of a big deal.

The crux of the story is that a nice lady doctor moves to Cheyenne to open her own practice only to discover that, shocker, people don't think women should be doctors; they don't have the brains plus they should be in the kitchen or poppin' out babies. Elizabeth is initially discouraged, especially after the smokin hot lawyer next door tells her her business is doomed. Slowly she starts building up clientele (hey treating whores will pay the bills!) and she discovers that her lawyer neighbor is actually quite nice (and did I mention attractive?). The two start courting and everything seems peachy, until gossip and deceit amongst Cheyenne's wealthy threatens to tear apart everything Elizabeth has worked so hard to build!

This book is the third in the Westward Winds series, but honestly I didn't discover that in the end. It serves as a stand alone book quite well.

For fans of historical Christian Romance and take charge leading ladies.

I received this book free from Revell Publishing in return for my honest, unbiased review. ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 4, 2014 |
In the late 1800s a woman was not looked upon as possessing the capacity or skill to become a doctor, much less be accepted into medical school and graduating at the top of her class. In this novel Elizabeth Harding had received her medical degree and moved to Cheyenne to set up her medical practice, expecting to become a successful doctor. Unfortunately the residents discredited her skills and scoffed at her. Attorney, Jason Nordling occupied the office next door. His attitude and most recent court case unfortunately raised Elizabeth's indignation, an incident that didn't help her gain his friendship. Mingling with high society did little to bring patients to the doctor's office, and old Doc Worland offered no help, degrading and belittling her. Diphtheria threatened her friend and unborn child, and despite Dr. Worland's intercession she taught the housemaid to treat the disease. Soon thereafter Jason developed diphtheria and became her first infirmary patient. Their rocky beginnings had begun to develop into a deepened friendship, and Elizabeth refused to allow Jason to die.

With Autumn's Return is the third in a series called Westward Winds. I had not read the prequels to this book, but found it to be a successful standalone novel aside from a bit of confusion regarding the numerous characters. That did not take away from the story which involved numerous subplots running alongside the development of the relationship between the main characters. The setting was well delineated, revealing a picturesque representation of the landscape of Wyoming, and the numerous characters were defined in detail, a wide array of varying individuals from all walks of life. Amanda Cabot is a talented author of historical fiction and her research is evident. I enjoyed this book, and hope to read the prequels at some time in the future.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Revell and the For Readers Only program through Book Fun in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.
added by NanceeM | editReviewer, Nancee Marchinowski (Apr 23, 2014)

Elizabeth Harding arrives in Cheyenne, Wyoming, to establish her medical practice thanks to the wooing of her two older sisters who extolled the beauty of the land. She's certain she'll have a line of patients eager for her expertise and gentle bedside manner. However, she soon discovers the town and its older doctor may not welcome a new physician. Even more frustrating, the handsome young attorney next door may not be ready for the idea of a woman doctor. For his part, Jason Nordling has nothing against women, but he's promised himself that the woman he marries will be a full-time mother.

Despite their firm principles, Elizabeth and Jason find that mutual attraction--and disdain from the community--is drawing them ever closer. And when the two find themselves working to save the life and tattered reputation of a local woman, they'll have to decide how far they're willing to go to find justice--and true love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:00 -0400)

When Elizabeth Harding arrives in Cheyenne, Wyoming, to establish her medical practice, she soon discovers the town and its older doctor may not welcome a new physician. Even more frustrating, the handsome young attorney next door may not be ready for the idea of a woman doctor.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible