Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch

Foxglove Summer

by Ben Aaronovitch

Series: Rivers of London (5), Peter Grant (5)

920529,529 (4.06)1 / 145

English (51)  Dutch (1)  All (52)
4.5 stars (really enjoyable, but not sure I'll be reading it over and over again).

In which Peter goes to the country, where he fails to identify flora like trees beyond labelling them as deciduous. There's more, but that would mean spoilers. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
I called her name and she rose out of the nodding purple flowers, the hot sunlight making amber highlights on the strong curve of her upper arms and her neck. I felt a mad rush of desire, not just sex but something wilder and stronger and almost like worship. I wanted to carve statues of her and paint her image on the walls of my cave, where the firelight would make them flicker and jump. I wanted to wrap myself in an animal skin and dance around the campfire wearing a necklace of bear teeth. Had she just asked, I’d gladly have gone mammoth hunting in her honour – although I’d only do that armed with a suitably high-powered rifle. There are limits, you know.

After the surprise twist at the end of the previous book, this one takes a diversion, away from London, as Peter heads to the Worcestershire countryside to check whether a retired wizard has anything to do with the disappearance of two children from a nearby village, and stays on to help the local police. Beverley Brook turns up to help him as his colleagues need to stay in London in case the Faceless Man makes another move.

I would have given it 4.5 stars if not for the abrupt ending. ( )
  isabelx | May 16, 2018 |
This book wasn't bad. It just wasn't amazing.

There were actual what-the-fuck-is-going-on kind of moments, but by the end of the book, after everything that had to went down, I ended up feeling kind of meh about the whole deal. It should have had a stronger ending, in my opinion. At this stage of the series, I guess I'm just expecting - or hoping for - a little bit more.

Still, the characters were as likeable as ever. So there's that. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Peter is sent to find out if there has been magical involvement in a case with missing children, and finds, not only signs of vestigia but a whole lot more. This is another great installment of the series, but this one is more straight-forward than most of the others, even if the denouement and its "creatures" (evil, invisible unicorns, anyone?) are anything but. Lesley makes a showing to drop some foreboding comments and we also get to meet some "people" who may cast light on what/who our dear Molly really is. I really like this series, but am trying not to mow through it too fast - I don't want it to end. ( )
  -Eva- | Apr 20, 2018 |
A very episode in the career of PC Peter Grant
  Paularbee | Apr 13, 2018 |

Aaronovitch, Benprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Sir Terry Pratchett OBE who has stood like a wossname upon the rocky shores of our imaginations - the better to guide us safely into harbour.
I was just passing the Hoover Centre when I heard Mr Punch scream his rage behind me.

When two young girls go missing in rural Herefordshire, police constable and wizard-in-training Peter Grant is sent out of London to check that nothing supernatural is involved.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,169,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible