Firebolt (Dragonian) by Adrienne Woods

Firebolt (Dragonian)

by Adrienne Woods

Firebolt (The Dragonian #1) by Adrienne Woods is an awesome fantasy book I was able to get for a honest review from NetGalley and boy am I glad I did! What a great read! Dragons, magic, romance, magic, action, good vs evil, a clean book and a great book. Exciting and true dialogue full of emotion and excitement on every page. The plot is fast with lots of twists and turns. I was so impressed with this young adult novel, although I am NO young adult and I loved it, I had to go and buy the next book and the novelette that goes between the two! I rarely do that! I am one of those people that get the good free books or cheap books or find good books to review. I could not wait, I had to have the next books in this series!This book is that good and fresh. I read over 300 books a year and this is a new and exciting fantasy. Thank you Ms Woods, can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Sep 9, 2016 |
When her father is unexpectedly killed by dragons, Elena is left alone in a world she had always thought was imaginary.

This book pulled me in right from the start and kept my attention. I enjoyed it thoroughly to the very end. ( )
  PhDinHorribleness | Oct 14, 2015 |
Where is the next book?! I want more.... Can you tell I enjoyed this? This was an interesting blend of medieval fantasy mixed with some more modern urban fantasy. Lots of Harry Potter-like qualities to this book. And a book any fan of the aforementioned series should check out!

I had so much fun reading this book. It wastes no time getting right into the story. Elena is constantly moving around with her dad. Always running from bold text: something. One particular night on the run they are suddenly attacked by dragons. Next thing Elena knows she is in another world and her father is dead. Great things are expected from her and she is thrust into the school of Dragonia. There she learns of magic, dragons, Dragonians and more.

Elena is your average, run-of-the-mill teenager. Clumsy, speaks her mind, average skills, etc. The one thing she excels at are riddles, which is amusing as she apparently doesn't like them. She is easy to relate to being she is not your over-the-top heroine. The book is first person as her. Her mind is an easy-going, comfortable place to sit back and enjoy the ride.

The world she has entered is very similar to our own. They have cars, museums, shopping centers, "cell" phones, etc. Yet theirs is better even than what we have. Plus they have Dragons. In fact, about half of Elena's new classmates are dragons in human form. She has a lot to learn in this school and she struggles through it all. Elena also uses an adorable phrase: "For the love of blueberries." This made me smile every time I read it.

The school really reminds me of Harry Potter. Not in the magic sense but the classes, friendships, mix of the regular word and the magical, etc. Subtle things. Aspects of Eragon, Lord of the Rings, and other stories are also evident.

I love the characters. Over flirtatious Brian, Prince Lucian, sweet Sammy, courageous Becky and the enigma...Blake. I so wanted more about him. Alas, I must wait for the next book.

This book was read almost entirely in one sitting. Very entertaining and well-paced. A great balance or story and action. A bit predictable so far though. Not necessarily a bad thing though, while how it is written. But I did want to jump in and shake a character with the truth of certain matters. Although some of these "truths" are yet to be told in this book so there is a chance I am wrong. This book is rich in its telling. Not just the current story but the very world it is in. Adrienne Woods really did create a whole new world, including a wonderful back-story.

Overall, a joy to read. One to re-read. While there are some grammar mistakes (especially lack of spacing between words), the story helps to compensate and overlook most of them. If you want Dragons, romance, action and friendship this is assuredly a must read for you! ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
Elena Watkins doesn't know what it means to have friends or an extended period in one place for more than three months. Elena's father's makes them move after three months. As child Elena was told stories of a place called Paegia where mythical creatures are real but as teenager she doesn't believe. That is until she's face to face with one because her father happens to be one. Elena is taken to Paegia where her birthmark is valued for it's rarity. Elena gets a crash course into what it means to be human and dragon too. With the help of Becky and Sammy, Elena learns not everything is as it appears at face value. Kings and Queens along with princes and princesses exist. One prince named Lucian McKenzie falls in love with Elena much to several classmates dismay. Will Elena accept her new life? Will Elena stop being afraid? Your answers await you in Firebolt.

Unusual for a fantasy story. The story and characters were rich and bold along with creative and intriguing too. I'm curious to see where this story goes in the future. This story also includes girl meets boy aspect as well as bad boy in need of redemption. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Aug 1, 2014 |
A well written story, I really enjoyed reading it. ( )
  cat3crazy | Jul 26, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Adrienne Woods's book Firebolt was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible