Stone Bruises by Simon Beckett

Stone Bruises

by Simon Beckett

English (5)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (7)
nowhere near as good as Beckett's other books. Would not classify this as a thriller. Too descriptive in places, tedious at times. Could have been shortened to half the size. Nearly gave up on it twice, after reading to the end, I wish I had. ( )
  Pet12 | Aug 4, 2015 |
An excellent psychological mystery. The details are presented page by page leaving the reader to make sense of each happening as it is revealed. Sean, the narrator, is on the run but we don't know from whom, or why. When he steps into a trap set on a quiet farm in France, his fate seems sealed. Then things get even more complicated. This is a riveting page-turner that I finished in two sittings. I believe it is a change from Beckett's usual style but that won't stop me from seeking out more by this author. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | May 27, 2015 |
This marked a departure from Beckett's previous novels which have featured forensic expert David Hunter. This novel opens with the narrator fleeing from something in a car which has almost run out of fuel. We only gradually learn where he is, and what he is running from. He abandons his car and starts to walk, struggling against the heat of the relentless midday sun. He finds a farmhouse where he manages to beg some refreshing water, but as he is leaving the farm estate he steps in a man trap.

Unable to extricate himself he gradually passes out. When he comes round he finds himself in a bed in a converted barn back at the farm. As he gradually recovers his strength he offers recollections of his previous life in London, slowly moving towards the reason for his frenzied escape.

Beckett manages the tension very effectively, keeping the reader engaged. I think I preferred the earlier books about Hunter, but this was still enjoyable. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Aug 12, 2014 |
Sean is on the run. We don't know why and we don't know from whom, but we do know he's abandoned his battered, blood-stained car in the middle of an isolated, lonely part of rural France at the height of a sweltering summer. Desperate to avoid the police, he takes to the parched fields and country lanes only to be caught in the vicious jaws of a trap. Near unconscious from pain and loss of blood, he is freed and taken in by two women - daughters of the owner of a rundown local farm with its ramshackle barn, blighted vineyard and the brooding lake. And it's then that Sean's problems really start...
Simon Beckett’s Stone Bruises is a fascinating tale of how the human psyche deals with loss, injury and pain. Battered and bruised Sean stumbles across an isolated farm in rural France where he becomes trapped by his injuries, his nightmares and the family who own the farm and lands.
The author paints a vivid picture, not only of the landscape, but of the characters. I was fascinated by the nonchalant cruelty in Sean’s past and his present, inflicted on him and on the girl he loved.
Here is a journey of love and loss, of cruelty and kindness that keeps the reader engrossed for hours.
  wendycartmell | Jun 8, 2014 |
Stone Bruises an Interesting Read

Stone Bruises by Simon Beckett is described as a thriller while being a well written and enjoyable read it is more Miss Marple than out and out thriller. This a not so much whodunit but what did they all do and what are they hiding. Saying that it was a very pleasurable read even when I read it on a football coach to that there London town.

Sean is on the run and escaping London when he has to dump his stolen car in France and carry on foot. He discovers a kilo of cocaine in the car and takes it with him. Sean is trying to avoid being seen by too many cars and especially the police when he sees one approach he jumps a fence and lands himself in a whole world of trouble when his leg ends up in a metal man trap. He passes out trying to get his foot free and when he comes round he is in a barn loft naked and his foot now has stitches. He has no idea what he is doing there or how he got there.

This is where he meets Mathilda and her sister Gretchen who take care of him while trying to keep him away from their father. Araund the father is not a pleasant man, he is a pig farmer with plenty of secrets to hide and this Sean at first has an awareness of something being wrong on the farm but not know what. While there he finds that the family are not popular in the local town and from comments made not even the girls are respected.

Throughout the book we get Sean’s full back story and his growing suspicions of what has gone on that is being hidden on the farm. Like Agatha Christie we do not get the full reveal until the closing chapters and things start to make sense and we find the hidden depths and find out why at the end Sean takes on a three legged spaniel called Lulu.

This was a pleasurable read and worth the time taken more old fashioned whodunit than modern thriller that is a great read. ( )
  atticusfinch1048 | Mar 3, 2014 |
Ter nagedachtenis aan Friederike Kommerell
De benzine is bijna op.

'Somebody!' I half-sob and then, more quietly, 'Please.' The words seem absorbed by the afternoon heat, lost amongst the trees. In their aftermath, the silence descends again. I know then that I'm not going anywhere...Sean is on the run. We don't know why and we don't know from whom, but we do know he's abandoned his battered, blood-stained car in the middle of an isolated, lonely part of rural France at the height of a sweltering summer. Desperate to avoid the police, he takes to the hedgerows and country lanes only to be caught in the vicious jaws of a trap. Near unconscious from pain and loss of blood, he is freed and taken in by two women - daughters of the owner of a rundown local farm with its ramshackle barn, blighted vineyard and the brooding lake. And it's then that Sean's problems really start.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,483,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible