Invisible by James Patterson
5811917,011 (3.8)6

Emma Dockery is an analyst for the FBI. She is on leave because the death of her sister has led to her being seen as emotionally unstable. During leave Emma uncovers some clues and a "hunch" that the death of her sister was not accidental but actually the work of a brilliant and ruthless arsonist that covers their tracks masterfully. Emma's ex-fiancee Books (Bookman) is a retired FBI agent that was highly respected. He is now selling books out of his own shop. Emma shares her hunch with him after the current boss at the FBI shoots her down. With some further digging, Emma and Books get the director to assign them a small team to look further into the crimes. At first it seems like they've hit a dead end as coroner's and fire inspectors stand by their original ruling that the fires were accidental and there were no crimes committed. But after a high level FBI forensic coroner looks at a couple files they catch a break. She determines that these are crimes and the killer is using the fires to cover brutal torture inflicted on the subjects just prior to killing them. Many twists and turns. Ton of drama and suspense. Patterson at his best. Read this in two days. ( )
  alsparks | Aug 15, 2017 |
Good book - rated 75
Emma Dockery obsessed with finding the link between hundreds of unsolved house fire cases. Emma has taken leave from her job as an FBI researcher. Now all she has are the newspaper clippings that wallpaper her bedroom, and her nightly recurring nightmares of an all-consuming fire. ( )
  DannyKeep | Mar 26, 2017 |
I just couldn't stop reading. ( )
  Monika_Ciszewska | Mar 23, 2017 |
Annoying heroine. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 21, 2016 |
This was my third Patterson novel, and I didn't like the first two. However, this one, I liked! It still has the element that I hated in the first two - 116 chapters for 385 pages? That's less than 4 pages a chapter! And most of the chapters are just two or three pages, but with the spacing and margins, I can't even call those actual pages! And the quality of the writing reads like it is at a 7th grade reading level (or lower) , which leads me to believe that this Patterson fellow really want us to feel accomplished by "getting through" a 116 chapter book! Even if it took only one day...

There's a decent story in here though! Arson, murder, and the NFL too! And a nice surprise near the end! The cover reads, "This book will make your jaw drop", and while it did not do that, it did keep me entertained. I really didn't like the heroine (at all!) but I did like the villain (quite a bit!) and I think the "Graham Session" chapters really worked well! And hey, my hometown, Novato, CA, is mentioned on the last page of chapter 20!

With all the extra spacing and blank pages, this is more like a novella, but priced like a novel. Still, it' a very quick read, so if you are into a light snack, a very light snack, this could be for you.

On a personal note, I just have to say that the first sentence of the author's page has to be one of the most conceited, and incorrect, things I've ever read! It reads, "James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today"!?!? Ok, I've heard of Alex Cross, but then... um.. who is he speaking of? Geez, the guy doesn't even write the books by himself! For someone doing half the work, at most, I'd think he'd be a bit more modest. I don't even know if he created Cross, or if he co-created it with one of the many authors he "works" with! Boy, I wish that bio was "invisible"! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jul 15, 2016 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ellis, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Everyone thinks Emma Dockery is crazy. Obsessed with finding the link between hundreds of unsolved cases, Emma has taken leave from her job as an FBI researcher. Now all she has are the newspaper clippings that wallpaper her bedroom, and her nightly recurring nightmares of an all-consuming fire.

Not even Emma's ex-boyfriend, field agent Harrison "Books" Bookman, will believe her that hundreds of kidnappings, rapes, and murders are all connected. That is, until Emma finds a piece of evidence he can't afford to ignore. More murders are reported by the day--and they're all inexplicable. No motives, no murder weapons, no suspects. Could one person really be responsible for these unthinkable crimes?

INVISIBLE is James Patterson's scariest, most chilling stand-alone thriller yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:43 -0400)

On leave from her FBI researcher career, Emmy Dockery tries to convince her boyfriend that hundreds of unsolved cases are linked to a single perpetrator. "Everyone thinks Emmy Dockery is crazy. Obsessed with finding the link between hundreds of unsolved cases, Emmy has taken leave from her job as an FBI researcher. Now all she has are the newspaper clippings that wallpaper her bedroom, and her recurring nightmares of an all-consuming fire. Not even Emmy's ex-boyfriend, field agent Harrison "Books" Bookman, will believe her that hundreds of kidnappings, rapes, and murders are all connected. That is, until Emmy finds a piece of evidence he can't afford to ignore. More murders are reported by the day--and they're all inexplicable. No motives, no murder weapons, no suspects. Could one person really be responsible for these unthinkable crimes?" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,362,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible