Professor Astro Cat's Frontiers of…

Professor Astro Cat's Frontiers of Space

by Dominic Walliman

Professor Astro Cat's Frontiers of Space teaches children about the universe as a cat takes them on an exploration through outer space. I found the words to be a little advance for young children but the colorful illustrations really depict the adventure well. I believe with a little push from an teacher or parent a child will catch on. ( )
  maturne2 | Dec 1, 2016 |
This book teaches kids all there is to know about the universe, and how to explore it, using a cat as their teacher. I think this is great, because in my experience, children take better to learning from animals than they do from people. One way to use this is have the kids take one aspect of the universe, planets, solar system, stars, spaceships, and have them draw a picture and explain how or why it is important. ( )
  amberloposser | Apr 23, 2016 |
Flying Eye Books is an international publishing company, an offshoot of Nobrow Publishers. Nobrow publishes some remarkable graphic novels and non-fiction (I'll be reviewing several of these in the next month or so). Flying Eye seeks "to retain the same attention to detail in design and excellence in illustrated content as its parent publisher, but with a focus on the craft of Children's storytelling and non-fiction."

Normally as a reader, whether of adult or children's books, I'm focused on story. A good cover might capture my interest momentarily, but it's story that makes me stick with a book, that makes me love it. Nobrow/Flying Eye are making me rethink my criteria. Yes, story is crucial—but there are books where the visual magic is as significant as the magic of the writing, books that marry image and word in ways that create something neither form could achieve by itself.

Professor Astro Cat's Frontiers of Space is just such a book. Created by a PhD in Quantum Device Physics (Dr. Dominic Walliman) and an award-winning illustrator and comic book creator (Ben Newman), the book combines scientific rigor (on a level appropriate for younger readers) with delightful imagery. Every page offers a wealth of details. The written text includes compilations of facts, astronomical history, longer descriptive passages, and small asides. The illustrations are busy in the best way: clearly connected to the text, but with all sorts of small flourishes and surprises built in.

This is the kind of book that a grade-school age budding scientist can spend hours with. I wish I'd had a book like this when I was younger, but even now, when I'm well into my fifties, I'm absolutely captivated by it. I want to leaf through it again and again; I want to pore over every page. This is a perfect book for gift-giving and for opening up the universe (literally, the universe) for younger readers. ( )
  Sarah-Hope | Jan 22, 2015 |
Ben Newman | Dedicated to Kathy, Claire and Colin Newman
Dominic Walliman | For Megan and Isabelle
Every night, as the Sun sets beyond the horizon, the last rays of sunlight throw the sky into a beautiful display of colours.

Professor Astro Cat explains everything he knows about the solar system and outer space, including the Big Bang, manned missions to the Moon, and the night sky throughout the months of the year.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,011,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible