The 6th Extinction by James Rollins

The 6th Extinction

by James Rollins

The 6th Extinction is book 10 in the Sigma series and you don't need to have read the previous books in the series to enjoy this book. Although it wouldn't hurt to read them in the right order. Mostly because the series is good and it's interesting to follow the character lives throughout the books.

This book starts with the destruction of a remote military research station that not only kills every single scientist in the facility, but also every living thing within fifty square miles. Animals, plants, and yes even bacteria are killed and the infestation is spreading. Now, they must find a way to stop it.

This book takes us both to the jungles of South America and the icy world of Antarctica as the agents of Sigma has to find a way to stop the spreading that kills everything in its way.

The book is split into two parts; Commander Gray Pierce and others travelers to Antarctica looking for the answers below the ice and Painter Crowe and his group is going after the scientist that created the scourge and who was kidnapped when the military research station was destroyed. I preferred the Antarctic part of the book, it was most interesting with the lost world under the ice and also the one that felt most adventurous.

Meanwhile, Crowe and his team are trying to find the scientist that was kidnapped by the evil man that wanted to destroy the world that we know. The problem for me with the storyline was that It just got to scientific sometimes, too much scientific babble that dragged the story a bit. It was fundamentally interesting the idea that something could be so devastation dangerous that it could kill everything alive, but it just sometimes felt like the scientific babble just went on and on. That could really be why I just preferred what was going on with Pierce and the others because they had to fight for their lives constantly in Antarctica and the world below was so fantastic and dangerous. Yes, there was danger in Brazil, but I just felt less interested in the storyline.

I liked the book, I think it is well-written and fascinating to read. Yes, sometimes the science went above my head, but that only makes me more impressed because it does make the book feel very well researched. Although it did now and then go on a bit too long for my taste. But still, in essence, a really good book. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Nov 2, 2017 |
A decent plot with solid characters. Unfortunately, the narrative repeatedly comes to a standstill as Rollins does one data dump after another after another as he shows his commitment to including every bit of research that he did for the book. What you’re left with is a mix of equal parts science journal article and not-so-thrilling thriller. Yes, I thoroughly enjoy a solid historical or scientific foundation to my fiction reading, but it should propel the story, not drag it to a screeching halt time after time. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |

This book starts with the destruction of a remote military research station that not only kills every single scientist in the facility, but also every living thing within fifty square miles. Animals, plants, and yes even bacteria are killed and the infestation is spreading. Now this must find a way to stop it all.

MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
As always, Rollins delivers a masterful blend of science class and thrill ride. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Marking the tenth anniversary of James Rollins best-selling Sigma series, The 6th Extinction takes you on a roller coaster ride of the real possibility of where this world is heading. It also hints at the sad fact of the possible irreversibility in the situation of our fate. This Sigma adventure is balls-out on action as well in truth and fiction with historical data and the latest technological advances. It's an eye opener that you shouldn't miss. ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
—CARL SAGAN, THE VARIETIES OF SCIENTIFIC EXPERIENCE (2007)
To David,
who keeps me both grounded and flying high . . .
not an easy feat!
December 27, 1832
Aboard the HMS Beagle

We should have heeded the blood…
(page 25)

D.A.R.W.I.N.
(pages 150-151)

Now Chil the Kite brings home the night
That Mang the Bat sets free—
The herds are shut in byre and hut,
For loosed  till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.
O hear the call! —Good Hunting, All
That keep the Jungle Law!
(page 165)

FIVE HOURS AND NO SIGN OF TRANSMISSION.
(page 165)

ASSESSMENT: INFECTIOUS PARTICLE MUST
BE UNDER 15 NANOMETERS IN SIZE.

The Sixth Extinction by James Rollins has descriptive copy which is not yet available from the Publisher.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

A remote military research station in Utah sends out a frantic distress call, ending with a chilling final command: Kill us all! Personnel from the neighbouring base rush in to discover everyone already dead - and not just the scientists, but every living thing for fifty square miles has been annihilated. The land is entirely sterile-and the blight is spreading. To halt the inevitable, Commander Gray Pierce and Sigma must unravel a threat that rises out of the distant past, to a time when Antarctica was green and all life on Earth balanced upon the blade of a knife. Following clues from an ancient map rescued from the lost Library of Alexandria, Sigma will discover the truth about an ancient continent, about a new form of death buried under miles of ice.… (more)

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,380,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible