Tournament of Chance

Tournament of Chance

511,436,638 (4)None

An unjust king picks the wrong commoner to betray in Tournament of Chance by S. G. Rogers, a fast-paced fantasy story about a rebellion fueled by love and happening through time itself.
I love the tours that I Am a Reader, Not a Writer hosts, since they are a great opportunity to read and review wonderful books that I might not get a chance to otherwise. When the email came for Tournament of Chance, I wasn’t sure what I was getting into, but there was a dragon on the cover so my chances seemed good :D. Plus archery is pretty awesome!
Goodreads | Amazon

Title: Tournament of Chance
Author: S. G. Rogers
Pages: 273 (ebook)
Genre-ish: Fantasy Time travel!
Rating: ★★★★☆ - fast-paced story, some flaws
Heather’s skill is archery. King Chance’s skill is treachery. Who will win?
When a beautiful commoner enters the Tournament of Chance archery competition, her thwarted victory sparks a revolution in the oppressive kingdom of Destiny. Although Heather never believed the legends about the restoration of Ormaria, after three shape-shifting Ormarian wizards awaken from a long magical slumber, she joins their perilous quest to regain the throne. Heather battles vicious predators and angry trolls to free the wizards’ magic, but at a horrendous cost. She is unexpectedly torn from the arms of the man she loves and hurled back in time to fulfill a prophecy not yet written. The ensuing maelstrom tests Heather’s survival skills, wits, and endurance. Will she become an unwritten footnote in history, or can she trust the magic to lead her back to her one true love? – Goodreads

Strengths:
Tournament of Chance is a fast read, full of adventure and action. I really couldn’t put the Kindle down :D.
The plot of Tournament of Chance got really interesting with all of the time travel coolness ;-). Time travel can be kind of silly if done poorly, but I liked the mechanic that Rogers used.
Great secondary characters! I loved that troll, he was so adorable
Weaknesses:
Insta-love in a can, it causes cancer and global warming or something like that…. No seriously, the characters go from disliking each other to saying the L-word in a couple of pages and I just can’t connect with a relationship like that. It weakens everything about a plot :-/.
Tournament of Chance had too little description of what I think we can all agree is the coolest part: the dragons! In general the description was pretty light, but there was literally nothing beyond “and then they were dragons.” There are lots of different kinds of dragons for the record! I need to know what these dragons look like :D.
Summary:
For the most part, I really enjoy Tournament of Chance. The writing was compelling and fluid and the plot was interesting. While the character development and description was a little disappointing, you could make the argument that I’m just picky with some things ;-) and you will really enjoy Tournament of Chance for what it is: an awesome adventure through time to stop an evil king before he’s even born! I mean how much more bad-ass can a rebellion get?? I’m not just going to try to overthrow you, I’m going to try to make it so you were NEVER king :D Boo-yah! ;-) Remind me not to get on the wrong side of this chick! Anyway, if you are in the mood for a fast and fun read and don’t mind insta-love, go grab Tournament of Chance. ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible