Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain…

Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before (edition 2003)

by Tony Horwitz

1,201286,673 (3.89)97
Member:MrBadcrumble
Title:Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before
Authors:Tony Horwitz
Info:Picador (2003), Edition: Later printing, Paperback, 496 pages
Rating:*****

Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before by Tony Horwitz

Documents the three high-adventure voyages of Captain James Cook, who between 1768 and 1779 mapped a final third of the globe that was previously uncharted.
  ingxangxosi | May 26, 2014 |
2/12/2010
  MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
An enjoyable and informative read--fascinating account of Captain Cook, his voyages, accomplishments, origins and death. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
There are literally not enough stars for me to give this book. The style is highly readable, informative without being even remotely dry, and the author's sense of humor really helps to make the book a deceptively quick read. Perhaps more importantly to me, the references are immaculate and all the historical information is very well-researched. I initially borrowed this book from the Maine Charitable Mechanics Association Membership Library in Portland, Maine, but adore it so much that I'm going to buy a copy the first chance I get. A must-read for anyone who still wants to grow up to be an adventurer. ( )
  themythicalcodfish | Aug 8, 2012 |
In Blue Latitudes, Pulitzer winning writer Tony Horowitz describes his adventures following the path of Captain Cook. His achingly funny, yet candid account of his travels will leave you in stitches. Horowitz describes in detail his trip around the world and his encounters with some of the most colorful characters you’ll ever meet!
Horowitz artfully mixes facts with humor as he educates you in the life of Captain Cook. The book switches flawlessly between Cook’s travels and Horowitz’s own. You are able to see both the similarities and the differences between their experiences.
I never thought I could laugh and learn at the same time, but Blue Latitudes proved me wrong! I found myself laughing while actually absorbing information about this interesting man. It takes a truly skilled writer to entertain one as much as Horowitz does. I highly recommend this book whether you’re a traveler or not; you can brave the high seas from the safety of your own couch or bring this book along with you as you sail the waters yourself!
  MrsHoran | Jun 14, 2012 |
Tony Horwitz has done it again. In his earlier, riveting book, "Confederates in the Attic," he journeyed through the South to explore the rich and thorny legacy of the Civil War. With the same keen insight, open- mindedness and laugh-out-loud humor, he undertakes another daunting quest in "Blue Latitudes" -- to travel across the globe in search of the memory of Captain James Cook, the 18th century English explorer whose ambition led him, as he famously put it, "not only farther than any other man has been before me,
but as far I think it possible for man to go."

Ambition leads me not only farther than any man has been before me, but as far as I think it possible for man to go.----THE JOURNAL OF CAPTAIN JAMES COOK
For Natty, an adventurer at five
Just after dark on February 16, 1779, a kahuna, or holy man, rode a canoe to His Majesty's Sloop Resolution, anchored off the coast of Hawaii.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312422601, Paperback)

Captain James Cook's three epic 18th-century explorations of the Pacific Ocean were the last of their kind, literally completing the map of the world. Yet despite his monumental discoveries, principally in the South Pacific, Cook the man has remained an enigma. In retracing key legs of the circumnavigator's journey, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Tony Horwitz chronicles the cultural and environmental havoc wrought by the captain's opening of the unspoiled Pacific to the West, as well as the alternately indifferent and passionate reactions Cook's name evokes during the writer's journeys through Polynesia, Australia, the Aleutians, and the explorer's native England. Horwitz skillfully weaves a biography and travel narrative with warm humor that is natural and human-scale, and his restless inquisitiveness quickly infects the reader. While striking dichotomies abound throughout that journey--Maori toughs who adopt Nazi imagery to symbolize their own fight against white domination, millennia-old Polynesian sexual mores that would shame the Reeperbahn, a sense that Christianity decimated native cultures at least as effectively as Western venereal diseases did--few are more poignant than the ones that abound in Cook's own life. This fine work is an adventurous reminder that answers to historical riddles are elusive at best--and seldom as compelling as the myriad new questions they pose. --Jerry McCulley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:40 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible