The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister by…

The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister

by George R. R. Martin

It really just is a collection of Tyrion Lannister's one-liners in a hardcover. Nice niche gift for the huge Game of Thrones fan, but not exactly much else. Go read the actual books. ( )
  trile1000 | Nov 17, 2017 |
Short and sweet; a book that you can easily read in about ten minutes. Tyrion is the best character in George R. R. Martin's world – both in book and on television (take a bow, Peter Dinklage) – and it is a joy to read some of his snarkiest lines. Nevertheless, some don't really have the same impact when in isolation, and I began to see some of them either as routinely cynical wisdom that has been dressed up or as modified spins on established quotes (some, for example, shave quite close to Shakespeare). I also felt there were some memorable bon mots which were omitted; surely a book this short could have incorporated more.

But no one is going to come to this book with any illusions: it's a stocking-filler, a money-spinner capitalizing on the success of Game of Thrones and everyone's favourite character. Given I bought it second-hand in a charity shop for £2, I didn't feel short-changed. This would probably have been a very different review had I bought it new. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jul 31, 2017 |
Meh. Not unexpected, but still just a collection of his best quotes from the novels. Fine bathroom or waiting-room reading, not worth purchasing. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
This little jewel of a book is perfect for fans of A Song of Ice and Fire (or Game of Thrones for those who’ve watched the series without reading the five books) for it is chock-full of the witticisms of Tyrion Lannister. Martin has even matched the comments to the books they appeared in but alas not the scenarios. My favourite was “My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind … and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge.” Jonty Clarke’s illustrations were a disappointment. " ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
WARNING: Small Spoier Alert

I adore Tyrion Lannister. No matter how small he seems to be when looking at him, he's actually 6 feet 4 inches tall with the build of an Adonis. And, just in case you haven't read the books, the way he's portrayed on the screen by the wonderful Peter Dinklage, Tyrion is actually much, much more ugly in the books, with eyes of different colors and half a nose. Even thinking about him kind of gives me the willies

However, pain -- both physical and/or mental -- can create great wisdom. And that's why, I think, George Martin created Tyrion Lannister. It's the same reason that "Great Men" had jesters in the real world of the Middle Ages. They needed someone to whom they could turn to hear the truth of a situation instead of what other people thought that the Great Man wanted to hear.

So, Martin, with the help of others, created this book. It's a lovely summary of many of the brilliant bon mots that regularly come out of Tyrion's unique brain.. Try it. ( )
1 vote bfgar | Aug 14, 2014 |

The perfect gift for fans of George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire novels and HBO’s Game of Thrones: a collection of wicked one-liners from the incomparable Imp of Casterly Rock, fully illustrated by Jonty Clark!

“My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind . . . and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge.”

The jealous masses of the Seven Kingdoms may call him Halfman, but none have ever accused Tyrion Lannister of being a halfwit. His golden tongue has saved his skin slightly more often than it has landed him in mortal peril. Now, this special illustrated volume preserves his most essential knowledge for future generations, featuring time-tested guidance on such varied subjects as . . .

The art of persuasion
“The best lies are seasoned with a bit of truth.”

Fine dining
“A little honest loathing can be refreshing, like a tart wine after too much sweet.”

The fair sex
“The young ones smell much better, but the old ones know more tricks.”

Royal politics
“Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.”

Common ailments
“A sword through the bowels. A sure cure for constipation.”

At once charming, insightful, and ruthlessly irreverent, The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister is short on pretense and overflowing with finely crafted gems—just like the man himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:46 -0400)

Perfect for fans of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels and HBO's Game of Thrones: a collection of wicked one-liners from the incomparable Imp of Casterly Rock, fully illustrated by Jonty Clark!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,995,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible