Things That Matter: Three Decades of…

Things That Matter: Three Decades of Passions, Pastimes and Politics

by Charles Krauthammer

A preeminent American conservative reflects his ideas about the things that matter in American politics.
  gmicksmith | Sep 24, 2016 |
You don't need to share Krauthammer's conservative politics to enjoy these thought-provoking essays. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
I will admit that my political views are similar to Charles' (but I'm not nearly as smart nor can I express myself as well). People with differing political views probably won't like this book as much as I did. It is fascinating to read some of the older posts and see how right on Charles was in his opinions!

In addition, I improved my vocabulary. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
This is a wonderful collection of Krauthammer articles and writings from the past three decades from the Washington Post, The Weekly Standard, and others. I really admire Krauthammer's ability to cut through all the bull and hit the issue right on the head. He delivers things that are sorely lacking in this nation right now, common sense and the truth. From this, I will seek out more Krauthammer books and I recommend this book to all. ( )
1 vote utbw42 | Dec 1, 2014 |
All the conservative bits in my political leanings are thanks to powerhouse columnists like David Brooks, George Will and Charles Krauthammer. And whereas Brooks and Will are known for their genteel rhetoric, Krauthammer's arguments carry a measured, fiery anger. I love this guy. When he makes a point it's undeniably intelligent and there's just this wink of spirited condescension. And you'd have to be willfully close-minded to not be persuaded by his reasoning. When Krauthammer enters the conversation it's like the other pundits start to resemble shouting children by comparison.

Things That Matter is Charles Krauthammer's greatest hits album, the 'best of' from his 30+ years of political commentating. Organized by theme rather than by era (e.g. "Passions and Pastimes," "Heaven and Earth," and "Citizen and State"), the individual columns jump back and forth chronologically signaling that what matters to Krauthammer is bigger than the day-to-day news. One moment the context could be the Soviet Union; the next it's 9/11.

A personal observation (or non-observation): I've been following Charles Krauthammer for over 10 years now, and until I read this book I had no idea that he was paralyzed. When I see him on TV he's usually sitting in a newsroom along with everyone else. It says something about this man's character that his contributions to public discourse are demonstrably independent of his physical limitations. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jun 12, 2014 |

From America’s preeminent columnist, named by the Financial Times the most influential commentator in the nation, the long-awaited collection of Charles Krauthammer’s essential, timeless writings.

A brilliant stylist known for an uncompromising honesty that challenges conventional wisdom at every turn, Krauthammer has for decades daz­zled readers with his keen insight into politics and government. His weekly column is a must-read in Washington and across the country. Now, finally, the best of Krauthammer’s intelligence, erudition and wit are collected in one volume.

Readers will find here not only the country’s leading conservative thinker offering a pas­sionate defense of limited government, but also a highly independent mind whose views—on feminism, evolution and the death penalty, for example—defy ideological convention. Things That Matter also features several of Krautham­mer’s major path-breaking essays—on bioeth­ics, on Jewish destiny and on America’s role as the world’s superpower—that have pro­foundly influenced the nation’s thoughts and policies. And finally, the collection presents a trove of always penetrating, often bemused re­flections on everything from border collies to Halley’s Comet, from Woody Allen to Win­ston Churchill, from the punishing pleasures of speed chess to the elegance of the perfectly thrown outfield assist.

With a special, highly autobiographical in­troduction in which Krauthammer reflects on the events that shaped his career and political philosophy, this indispensible chronicle takes the reader on a fascinating journey through the fashions and follies, the tragedies and triumphs, of the last three decades of American life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:57 -0400)

America's preeminent columnist presents his penetrating and surprising reflections on everything from embryo research to entitlement reform, from Halley's Comet to border collies, from Christopher Columbus to Martin Luther King, from drone warfare to American decline. Features a special, highly autobiographical introduction.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible