The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Art of Purring…

The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Art of Purring (2013)

by David Michie

English (2)  German (1)  All (3)
I really love the Dalai Lama's Cat books, they'll definitely be considered as repeat comfort reading at some point in the future. They are gently humorous and thoughtful, bringing to light concepts that we all struggle with and offering insight into how to deal with feelings in perhaps a different way than we normally would. It makes me want to visit McLeod Ganj, and the Himalayan Book Cafe, and spend time with all the endearing characters that are a part of HHC's life. It's also stirred an interest in learning more about Buddhism for me, it seems like such a peaceful and caring life philosophy, that even if you don't adopt it as a religion, you can still learn so much about human nature from it's teachings. I'm definitely looking forward to The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Power of Meow and may look into other of David Michie's books on meditation, which is a complete mystery to me. I wouldn't even know where to start.

A strong recommend to cat lovers, because regardless of whose cat she is, HHC is still A CAT, and her contemplation of the wisdom imparted by His Holiness and the other teachers which is often at odds with her nature is both entertaining and thought provoking, but in an easy way. These are light, but meaningful in content, and for me definitely comfort reading.

COYER SH #55 - features an animal prominently in the story. ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
Warm and fuzzy book yet with a lot of common sense thrown in. ( )
  lhaines56 | Oct 12, 2014 |
Oh good, you're finally here, though you've taken your time about it, if you don't mind my saying so! (Prologue)
Have you ever marveled, dear reader, at how the most apparently trivial decision can sometimes lead to the most life-changing events?

""What makes you purr? Of all the questions in the world, this is the most important. Because no matter whether you are a playful kitten or sedentary senior, whether you're a scrawny alley Tom, or sleek-coated uptown girl, whatever your circumstances you just want to be happy. Not the kind of happy that comes and goes like a can of flaked tuna, but an enduring happiness. The deep down happiness that makes you purr from the heart." His Holiness's cat is back-older, a bit wiser, and as curious as ever. In this book, the Dalai Lama sets for his lovable feline companion the task of investigating The Art of Purring. Whether it's the humorous insights gained from a visiting Ivy League Psychology Professor, the extraordinary research of a world-famous biologist, or the life-changing revelations of a mystical yogi, His Holiness's Cat encounters a wealth of wisdom about happiness. And what she discovers changes the way she sees herself forever. With a much loved-and growing-cast of characters from the local community and His Holiness's residence, as well as encounters with intriguing strangers and celebrities from far and wide, The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Art of Purring will transport readers in another unforgettable story. Along the way they will come to understand how elements of contemporary science and Buddhism converge. And, once again, they will feel the warmth of compassion and nonattachment that radiate from the heart of the Dalai Lama's teachings about our quest for enduring happiness"--… (more)

David Michie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible