Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 Volume 4:…

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 Volume 4: Welcome to the Team

by Andrew Chambliss

Solid Buffy comic; the best so far of season 9. A new-and-different Scooby gang is out hunting (new and different) vampires; Billy and cop dude (Donovan?) have grown on me as characters. Illyria reappears, which is always fun. The Siphon plots advances in an unexpected fashion. And poor Dawn! ( )
  teknognome | Nov 18, 2016 |

*Book source ~ Library

From Goodreads:
Buffy is unwillingly recruited by the demon Illyria and a mystical council to take down the Siphon—for good. He is on the loose again, and a danger to all remnants of magic! Meanwhile, back home the loss of magic has begun to affect those closest to Buffy . . . Collect issues #16-#20 of Season 9.

I’ve been waiting forever and a day for this volume to show up at the library. I’ve read the rest of Season 9, so this one fills in the gap of what’s going on with Dawn. I still hate Xander, no surprise there. Love Buffy and the motley crew she’s collected, but I miss Spike so much. *sigh* But Illyria and Eldre Koh are here. Yay! The artwork is decent except for Andrew. He looks zero like he’s supposed to. I can’t even tell it’s him until someone calls him by name or he says something geeky. That Siphon is a piece of work and Simone is a real cunt nugget. All-in-all, I love this instalment of the Buffyverse. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 13, 2016 |
The Good: Xander makes you care about Dawn. That's what we remaining skeptical fans have needed since the moment Dawn appeared in the series. A reason to care about her. She's grown up some, but she's still, at heart, the annoying little sister we all wish had never been introduced. Her relationship with Xander is the only thing that makes her likable, but at least we have that now. Xander is still full of his flaws, the one character that never evolves past his episode, always reverting back to default mode come the next. This graphic novel stays true to that, as annoying as it may be. We see him once again contemplating questionable things based on emotion over logic.

The Bad: The artwork is getting laughable. I mean, look at that cover. Clearly Buffy. Clearly Xander in black and white at the bottom. Obviously the artists have a grasp on what the characters are supposed to look like. Then on the inside we get rushed cartoony nonsense that barely resemble the characters. I couldn't identify Buffy in more than a few panels. Xander is slightly better, but the eye patch is a pretty big tip off. Judge for yourself.

{see blog for photos}

Not good. ( )
  TequilaReader | Jan 12, 2016 |
Buffy Season 9 is overall stronger than Season 8, but it has felt a lot like treading water. In this volume we finally get a clearer picture of the villain Severin, the “Siphon” - what his goal and motivation is. It’s actually somewhat sympathetic. Good. Buffy temporarily teams up with Illyria (from Angel) to fight him, until Illyria loses her powers, thus furthering Severin’s plans and Illyria (powerless, AGAIN) randomly buggers off. I would have really liked to have seen a bit more time spent with Illyria and the Buffy/Illyria interaction.

Dawn gets sick - her body, originally made from mystical energy to harness the Key, is shutting down since Buffy destroyed the Seed of all magic at the end of Season 8. Xander’s bad attitude this season seems to have been leading up to this, as he uses Dawn’s ailment to blame Buffy for everything and ends this volume teaming up with Severin the Siphon - now blue-haired and Illyria-powered - and the evil punk-slayer, Simone Doffler. They have a plan to use Illyria’s power to turn back the clock, wiping out everything that happened between Buffy and “Twilight” and the Seed. Which wouldn’t actually be a bad thing by any means, except that it would rip apart the universe.

I like how Season 8’s characters and storyline are still informing Season 9, everything is building nicely, overall, and its flowing together okay - it all feels a bit choppy and rushed. And I don’t care if I’m the only person in the world who hates Georges Jeanty’s art, I still hate it. Art is one of those subjective things though, so if you like it, you like it. It doesn’t do it for me.

I liked The Watcher story, at the end, illustrated by Karl Moline - although even his art I found kind of rushed and sloppy looking in places. The Watcher dealt with some of Xander’s feelings about everything that’s happened in Season 8 and 9. I love Xander and I hope they stop writing him as a jerk and I am worried about how this whole betrayal story-arc will pan out for him and Buffy. I love their best-friendship and I worry that will be ruined by the events of Season 9.

Also, WILLOW COMES BACK YAY!!! FINALLY!!!!!! - And yes, I did read her comics, and enjoyed them, but I still really missed having her in Buffy. ( )
  catfantastic | Apr 19, 2015 |
It really is back to basics with this installment of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy is no longer attached to the business operation that Kennedy has created (which I was not a fan of, mostly because I hate Kennedy) and is back on the streets doing what she does best, fight vampires (technically zompires) and trying to save the world.

This is the Buffy I've been missing, and I'm so glad to have her back. Even though the gang is not back together by the end of this volume it would seem that things may be heading in that direction. That, and the guys at comic-con said that is. There were a lot of surprises in this volume, and I'm excited to see where this takes the series.

I am a fan of the new addition to the group, Billy, who despite being without special slayer abilities, is doing pretty well for himself and can certainly keep his own in a fight. Despite this, he continues to believe that he is worthless and should quit until his boyfriend, Devon, reassures him that he is an integral part of the team. He still has some growing up to do, and I'm excited to watch him go through all the motions as I do like him.

I'm still a little iffy on Dowling, the cop that now helps Buffy slay the zompires. He still has a little bit of character building to go, especially since it looks like he is a potential love interest for Buffy. I feel about Dowling how I feel about my friends new dating partners. I have to meet them and approve before I allow it to happen. Maybe allow is the wrong word, but you get what I mean.

The art is still of the highest caliber, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from Georges Jeanty. I feel that he really stays true to the characters, not just with their looks, but their expressions are believable and often affecting.

Overall, I was quite impressed with this volume and can't wait to go buy the next one. Probably in the next couple of days. I was a little weary of where it was heading for the last couple of volumes, but now I'm feeling better. I firmly believe that it's now back on track since I had the feeling it was kind of losing its way. A great addition to the growing Buffyverse. ( )
1 vote kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |

"Rededicated to the Slayer mission, Buffy is reducing the zombie population one by one - until she is ripped from a battle and transported to Los Angeles. The demon Illyria and a mystical council make the Slayer an unwilling recruit in a team formed to take down an increasingly powerful enemy - the Siphon. Having regained his strength after a showdown with Buffy, he's back in action, gathering power and endangering whatever remnants of magic linger in the world. Meanwhile, in San Francisco - unbeknownst to Buffy - the loss of magic is hitting closer to home than ever..." --Cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible