Unleashing Mr. Darcy by Teri Wilson

Unleashing Mr. Darcy

by Teri Wilson

Rewrite of Pride and Prejudice in the dog competition world. I enjoyed the alternate points of the story between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. I especially liked how we get more of Mr. Darcy's thoughts as he struggles with his attraction and questions why it is happening with Elizabeth. It was fun to see it all work out against the dog shows and the preparation of the dogs for the shows. It is different from the Hallmark movie but both follow the basic Pride and Prejudice storyline. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 5, 2016 |
Mr. Darcy is a tall, dark handsome extremely wealthy British man who happens to be involved in judging at a dog show in the states. Elizabeth Scott is an American teacher at a school for the priveleged. A fun title and the dog show theme are what enticed me to read this book. What I wasn't expecting was for the book to turn into what felt like a trashy romance novel. I wanted to like this book,and the writing was done well, but maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea. If you like all that "love/hate relationship stuff" and some steamy romance then this would be a great book to read. ( )
  angieshere | Apr 25, 2014 |
NOTE: I received this eARC via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

My first thoughts after I finished Unleashing Mr. Darcy went something along the lines Oh my! I believe I just fell in love again! And this time it's for the right Mr. Darcy!

With that said, I am adamant that Unleashing Mr. Darcy is even better than the original Austen Pride and Prejudice. So judge me! Or not. I don't care!

Usually I dread reading a favorite classic's retelling. Why? Because I end up hating them more often than not. It's sad, I know, but it's the truth. In fact, I've already read one Pride and Prejudice retelling this year and I was abysmally disappointed.

So you see, I was very tentative when requesting Unleashing Mr. Darcy. I was even more so when I started reading it, but I just couldn't pass up the chance because you know - it might just turn out to be a jewel.

Good heavens! I'm elated to say that my worries were completely in vain. Nothing about this novel was the mirror image of P&P and I just so loved that! Sure, the story line followed the original, but it had it's own quirks too. Also, all the little things that annoyed me in P&P were gone here. Like Wickam's marriage to Lidia - completely out of the story. Or his pursuit of Darcy's sister. Phew! Gone too! Or Darcy's coldness. Gosh that needed to be gone - I mean no man can be a statue, right?

I can proudly say that I was more affected by Elizabeth Scott and Donovan Darcy than Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. Why?

Well, for starters, Donovan's character was a lot more down to earth and he had his own POV chapters! That right there is a huge bonus that I just can't ignore. I mean, I don't know about you, but I've always wanted an in on Mr. Darcy's thoughts! And let me tell you, Donovan did NOT disappoint! *I can only giggle!* It was easier to know where he was coming from, why he was behaving the way he was, what drove him etc. Which is why I found him not only charming, but also completely irresistible! He was lovely, passionate, incredibly careful and considerate. I really wanted to just snatch him off the pages and keep him for myself.

Elizabeth's character was the more conceited one here. Her prejudice - as Donovan pointed out - bordered on snobbery. There were moments when I was ready to strangle her for only seeing the negativity of her situation. That facade she had going on was - to say the least - annoying. I don't know how often I was urging her to just let bygones be bygones. I mean, the past cannot be changed, but that doesn't mean you should turn your back to the future too, right? Other than that, Elizabeth was strong. She followed her heart to the best of her abilities, and even managed to make friends far away from home.

If you're a Jane Austen fan, I suggest you don't pass up this opportunity. I'm sure you'll love Unleashing Mr. Darcy as much as I did! ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is one of those books that you can read again and again, but still want more. What happened to Darcy, Bingley, Lizzie and Jane? Countless sequels, prequels and alternative tellings (with/without zombies) have been produced. Teri Wilson’s Unleashing Mr Darcy doesn’t fit into any of these – it’s more of a modern story modelled on Pride and Prejudice. It doesn’t model itself exactly Jane Austen’s story, rather it takes elements and modernizes them.

In this story, Elizabeth Scott is a newly 30 year old single teacher. She’s under a cloud at her job, after she refused to take a bribe from a parent to change their son’s grade (can’t you just see Lizzie doing that?). Her outlet is dog shows with her dog, Bliss. It’s at a dog show when she meets Donovan Darcy, rich dog breeder and dog judge. Naturally, sparks fly at the table as things get off to a rocky start. Then Elizabeth is offered a temporary job as a ‘dog nanny’ in London. She finds that Mr Darcy just happens to be her neighbour and is very, very popular as one of Britain’s most eligible (and wealthiest) bachelors. Helena Robson will do anything to keep Elizabeth away from Darcy, while her brother is making eyes at Elizabeth’s sister Jenna. Will Elizabeth and Darcy ever get together as their relationship is fraught with newspaper gossip columns and little known dog show rules?

This book is a fun laugh. I loved trying to match the characters to their P&P equivalent – some are difficult to spot, some are rather easy. The Unleashing Mr Darcy Mr Collins (Collin Montgomery) is delightfully odious and makes a few suggestions about what Mr Collins may have been after. Both Jenna and Henry Robson are just as sweet and delightful as their P&P namesakes. Of course Elizabeth is just as feisty and strong-willed and Mr Darcy is still as remotely sexy. There is also homage to the most replayed scene of the BBC Pride and Prejudice miniseries.

Other things are quite changed around – those looking for a modern day Lydia or Mary will be disappointed (although Lydia could probably have her own series in the modern world, which would be a delightfully scandalous read!). Elizabeth’s family also has a much reduced role, so fans of Mrs Bennet should look elsewhere. However, I loved that this book was not a slave to the plot of Pride and Prejudice –it kept me much more entertained wondering where the next recognisable scene would spring from.

The only thing I wasn’t keen on was the dog show setting. I’m not a dog fan and what I know of dog shows is only from television. Fortunately, the dog shows aren’t bogged down with detail and generally serve as a plot device for Elizabeth and Darcy to get together.

This book is funny and sweet. Definitely worth a read, even if you’re not a Pride and Prejudice devotee.

Thank you to Harlequin Australia for the copy of this book.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Jan 19, 2014 |
My Booklist review:

Wilson’s enchanting debut mixes dollops of Jane Austen into a modern fairy tale shaped by the British mania for dogs and dog shows. After losing her teaching job, American Elizabeth Scott is hired by British dog-show enthusiast Sue Barrow to help with her border terrier show dogs. Since Elizabeth hopes her own Cavalier King Charles spaniel will win awards one day, she sees working for Sue as a step forward. In her first show, the feisty Elizabeth verbally spars with judge Donovan Darcy, a Cavalier breeder. Consequently, she’s surprised to find that Donovan lives across the street from Sue in London. Although it is love at first sight for both of them, Donovan must wine and dine Elizabeth, and she must reject him because they come from such different socioeconomic backgrounds. While their relationship is blessed by Donovan’s best friend, Henry, and Elizabeth’s beloved older sister, it is thwarted by Henry’s sister, who is besotted with Donovan, and Donovan’s disapproving aunt. Dog lovers and readers who love Austen pastiches will savor this latest showing of the famous couple.— Pat Henshaw ( )
  phenshaw | Nov 22, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037377835X, Paperback)

Not true for Manhattanite Elizabeth Scott. Instead of planning a walk down the aisle, she's crossing the pond with the only companion she needs—her darling dog, Bliss. Caring for a pack of show dogs in England seems the perfect distraction from the scandal that ruined her teaching career, and her reputation, in New York. What she doesn't count on is an unstoppable attraction to billionaire dog breeder Donovan Darcy. The London tycoon's a little bit arrogant, a whole lot sexy…and the chemistry between them is disarming. When passion is finally unleashed, might Elizabeth hope to take home more than a blue ribbon?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman teetering on the verge of thirty must be in want of a husband. Not true for Manhattanite Elizabeth Scott. Instead of planning a walk down the aisle, she's crossing the pond with the only companion she needs--her darling dog, Bliss. Caring for a pack of show dogs in England seems the perfect distraction from the scandal that ruined her teaching career, and her reputation, in New York. What she doesn't count on is an unstoppable attraction to billionaire dog breeder Donovan Darcy. The London tycoon's a little bit arrogant, a whole lot sexy...and the chemistry between them is disarming. When passion is finally unleashed, might Elizabeth hope to take home more than a blue ribbon? --page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible