Darkling Light by Jason Gaskell

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added bycol2910

No tags.

Synopsis/blurb...........
"Darkling Light... And Other Short Stories" is a collection of ten short tales from Jason J.R. Gaskell. The collection includes a unique approach to addiction in "The Therapist", a killer on the loose in the Nigerian jungle in "The Nightwalker", a phobias workshop gone wrong in "The Great Shave", and a brutal antihero in "Coincidence".
I’m not the world’s biggest fan of short stories if I’m honest. The format doesn’t usually allow enough time to develop characters, which you empathise with and have concern over whatever fate befalls them in the end. Conversely though, they offer a welcome alternative when time is short or concentration is an issue.
Darkling Light is a collection of ten stories from Jason Gaskell; yet another new author for me this month. Saturday afternoon, I sat down with them and read the first seven straight through, only stopping because we were watching a couple of films. Sunday morning I picked up the last three and finished them.
An interesting collection and a little bit away from my comfort zone in respect of genre. Most of the stories had horror elements, with a little bit of sci-fi in a few and a touch of comedy or black humour here and there. There’s some artwork that accompanies each story which adds to the prose. Illustrations including the cover are by Bob Veon.
Overall verdict – enjoyable and entertaining. Within the ten there were a couple that were less interesting to me than some of the others, but overall the writing was smooth, the plots were interesting and I was engaged.
Highlights were The Therapist, Metamorphosis, Coincidence and Getting Out. Gaskell shows us an interesting alternative to conventional addiction treatments and his accidental serial killer is hilarious.
4 from 5
The author was kind enough to send me a copy to look at. Available on Amazon if you fancy a change with a twist. ( )
  col2910 | Oct 21, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,251,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible