Charley's War (Vol. 10) - The End by…

Charley's War (Vol. 10) - The End

by Pat Mills

World War I ends and Charley isn't free, the insane Snell is still trying to get his revenge on Charley. Charley experiences being a prisoner of war and we learn why a lot of the conventions on Prisoner's of War were created. (The Geneva Convention only on humane treatment of Prisoners of war dates from 1931, before that only injured combatants were covered by treaty). After escaping he takes part in the last battles of World War I as Snell tried to get more fame, there he finds that Snell has volunteered him for the Russian Front. I had never known that British forces had fought in Russia after the official end of World War I, and I can imagine what it was like for a person who sympathised with the other side to be fighting against them.

The story ends with Charley on the dole. trying to make ends meet and satisfy the bean counters. His wishes at the end are poignant.

I liked most of the commentary but found it a bit simpllistic in parts about the class divide, then again maybe I don't get how it was or how it is in England. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 31, 2014 |

In the final explosive volume of never-before-collected comic strip, including for the first time reproductions of strip pages from Joe Colquhoun's original artwork, we finally reach the epic conclusion of Charley's story, and the harrowing final days of World War I.

The tenth action-packed volume of Charley's War is rich in the detailed minutiae of the terror-punctuated existence of a Tommy, and includes a feature on the Treaty of Versailles and Germany's capitulation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:29 -0400)

With informative but accessible text, the sport is brought to life. This work offers an in-depth look at the sport, from its history and beginnings to the modern game, how it's played, who plays it and the rules that govern it. Packed with facts, stats and full-colour photographs, this is the essential guide.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible