The Forest Bull (The Fearless) (Volume 1) by…

The Forest Bull (The Fearless) (Volume 1)

by Terry Maggert

Very enjoyable and well written. Good balance of information and background. No excessive detailing of either methods of ingathering financial aspects of dispatched killers or fine points of erotica. Just enough without becoming boring or clinical. Decidedly well plotted, and finely designed at the end to leave the reader panting for the next book.
Audio performer well suited, and did an excellent rendering. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Mar 25, 2016 |
With all the books on the market about immortals, it's refreshing to read a tale with a unique spin. We’re not talking vampires and werewolves. No, these are nightmare immortals, feeding off humans in the most horrendous, painful methods. Those poor foodbanks were the lucky ones. Terry Maggert has quite the imagination.

The story starts with Ring, Risa & Wally, three people who met in college, from different walks of life. What they didn’t know was their lives were destined to be together. See, as children, they each had their own encounter with any immortal which changed their lives forever. Now they seek them out to destroy them. But something dark and foreboding is creeping up on mankind. Suddenly they find themselves being used as pawns in a war of supremacy, immortal against immortal. Who will come out the victor?

First off, I want to say, beautiful book cover. This is a well-written, well-crafted tale. It portrays the true essence of the book. Plus, I love the color blue.

This is a well-written, well-crafted tale told in first person. Most of the story is from Ring’s POV, but it does switch over to Risa and Wally on occasion. But the switching of POV is not confusing at all. The plot was well-developed and proceeded at a steady pace. The ending wasn’t quite what I expected, which is a plus in my book. I’m curious to see where this story goes in the next installment.

This story did remind me of the show Supernatural, where there were groups of monster hunters all over the world. I liked Ring, Wally and Risa, but I couldn’t get attached to them. I’m not sure why. For me, there was a spark missing. I think part of it was the writing style. Terry Maggert writes with a different phraseology. There’s nothing wrong with that, I liked it, but when the POV changed, and even when other characters spoke, they all used the same phraseology. It made all the characters seem one dimensional to me, like reading a text book.

If you’re looking for an exciting, gritty monster hunter book, with no holds barred, you’ll enjoy this story. I give it my 4 feathers. ( )
  saharafoley | Nov 1, 2015 |
For full review, go to http://www.onebooktwo.com

The story started by showing what the three did for a living and that is dispatching immortals. I was a little morally shy when I found out that Risa, Wally & Ring killed the immortals and stole all of their “stuff” to keep the checkbook balanced. I had to stop and do a slap upside the head moment and remember that these creatures are all terrible and have no regard for human life. With that moment passed, I really got into the book. The author used chapters to create the divisions of present day, past occurrences and the horror each individual immortal forced upon their unwitting prey. I was never confused as to where or when I was in the story which I appreciated.

In it’s very simplest form, the whole story boils down to how each immortal hunts it’s prey and out maneuvers the other immortals while fobbing off the threat of the three partners who will do anything in their power to stop the killing. There is a competition between the immortals (I counted 2 or 3 serious contenders, but you may distinguish more-depends your rating as to threat) as to who can rule hell. Elizabeth is a claimant and Delphine is a challenger to Elizabeth, though they are both scary as hell. Their qualifications are psychopathy, viciousness and general disregard of human life. The immortals play the long game (one of them is 24 centuries old) and it’s easy to believe that they think they are firmly in the driver’s seat. The threesome have their own networks of information and sometimes I feel they believe they are invincible. Ring is the assassin where as Risa and Wally are in the information division. By the end of the book, they find themselves challenged physically and emotionally and if you aren’t careful-and even if you are-they’ll reel you in hook, line and sinker. ( )
  NellOneBookTwo | Aug 15, 2015 |
This is a great paranormal read about 3 bad ass crime fighters...except they working as law officers and the crime they fight is against some of the most evil immortal and frightening creatures you could imagine. Ring and his two lovely companions were each personally and deeply effected by the terrible deeds that the undead do to feed their addiction. The author created a novel that moved quickly and was hard to put down and most certainly had you craving the "what's next" in the story. I truly enjoyed this twist on the paranorm, it was new and refreshing to read and I look forward to seeing what the author comes up with next. ( )
  Terry_Mitchell | Feb 20, 2015 |
  Terry_Mitchell | Feb 20, 2015 |

Terry Maggert is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible