Cold Comfort by Charles Todd

An Inspector Ian Rutledge e-novella set in France in 1915. I suppose the Todds are thinking of mysteries for their character that are set during the war rather than after it, and the only way to write it is in flashbacks.

But my comments for myself when I was finished this were “What was the point of this?” Although I want very much to like the Ian Rutledge books, I was not impressed with this entry. 2 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Nov 1, 2016 |
This book is a short story from the Ian Ruthledge series. Instead of continuing with Ian's career with Scotland Yard, we are taking back to the First World War when he was Lt. Ruthledge. There are no voices in his head, and he becomes involved in trying to prevent a murder. Good story for a short read. ( )
  delta61 | Jun 24, 2015 |
While serving in WWI, Inspector Rutledge comes across a conspiracy that requires his attention.

Rich descriptions of scenery, war, and characters fill the pages of this novella adding depth to the plot and characters.

The narrative is full of mystery, action, and historical accuracy.

Complex, authentic, and likeable characters are present on both sides of the conspiracy. Well, maybe all aren't quite likeable.

Overall, a fun read. ( )
  catya77 | Feb 10, 2014 |
After reading this series for many years and hearing Hamish as a spectral presence often whispering in Rutledge's ear "Ware.", it actually gave me the shivers when in this novella, the reader meets a very alive Hamish. That itself was priceless, but the story was good as well.

ARC from publisher. ( )
  Beamis12 | Nov 4, 2013 |

It's 1915, and the Great War is barely six months old. Lieutenant Ian Rutledge has left behind his career at Scotland Yard and is now serving in France. He's temporarily with the sappers--men digging underground tunnels toward the German lines to set off explosions under the enemy trenches. In his sector, Rutledge and his men set their charges and get out of the tunnel as fast as possible. But the charges don't go off. It's madness to go back down and find out why, but Rutledge and Private Williams volunteer. They barely make it back before the tunnel blows up. Rutledge suspects that two Welsh miners cut the fuse too long, even though they deny it.Then Williams confides to Rutledge that these same men, half brothers Taffy Jones and Aaron Lloyd, have tried before this to kill him. And they're determined enough to risk other men's lives as well. Rutledge discovers in the midst of a raging battle that murder has made its way to France, and he must find a way to prove it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,997,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible