Terry Treetop and the lost egg by Tali Carmi

Terry Treetop and the lost egg

by Tali Carmi

187561,019 (4)None

A cute little story about how Terry Treetop tries to be responsible and take corrective action when he finds an egg on the ground. Younger children will like the pictures and the variety of animals. Older grade school readers may need some help reading the rhymes aloud. ( )
  bemislibrary | Feb 19, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book because of the patterned language and its organized plot. This book not only told a story, but it also taught readers about different types of animals and their habitats. The story is about a boy named Terry who found an egg, and is looking to return it to its rightful owner. He ends up meeting many kinds of animals including an alligator and a turtle, and learns about how they each lay their eggs. For example, when Terry asked a frog if the egg belonged to her, she responded by saying, “I always lay a chain of many eggs. The one in your hand is not my own. In the pond, my baby tadpoles stay with me until they’re grown.” I loved how the language rhymed and it was also very descriptive. Even though, there were wonderful pictures in the story, the language constantly provided detail and vivid imagery. For instance, I could easily picture Terry in my head from the author’s description, “Terry is very cute and chubby. He has freckles on his nose. He has patches over the rips in his clothes because always up the tree he goes!” I thought that this story was fresh with ideas, because I was not at all expecting to learn about different animals and how they lay their eggs, originally I thought this story was going to be about Terry’s camping trip.
I feel that the overall message of this story is to never give up. There were times when Terry seemed discouraged about finding the egg’s mother but he never stopped looking. At the beginning of the story, Terry even made a vow to protect the egg and work hard to find out where it came from. Terry ended up discovering an empty nest in a tree, climbed up the branches, and waited patiently with the egg until the mother bird came back to its nest. The bird turned out to be a parrot, and was so thankful to Terry for his kindness and bravery. Not only does the story send the message to keep trying, but it also shows readers that an act of kindness can be very rewarding. ( )
  ecahan1 | Mar 1, 2015 |
I have mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because of the plot. Terry Treetop finds a lost egg, and he begins to search for the eggs mother. He asks several different animals if the egg belongs to them. When the animals answer they give a brief description about their eggs and how they take care of them. For example, the turtles response was, “They hatch inside a hole I dug. Later they will run to the water, though for now, they are still in there quite snug!” I thought it was interesting to read about how the different animals care for their eggs. The animals introduced in the book are turtles, alligators, frogs, and hens. I did not like this book because I thought the rhyming throughout the book was poorly done. The author tried to make the book rhyme all the way through, but there are certain places where it just doesn't work. For example, “Terry immediately unpacked his bag and got his binoculars out. He spied something lying on the grass and then he gave a shout!” In most cases, only the last word of every other sentence rhyme. For example, “‘Make that little sound again!’ Terry told the little bird, ‘So your mother will hear you saying your first word.’” I think the story would be much better without the attempts to make it rhyme. The big idea of this book is to introduce children to how certain animals take care of their eggs. ( )
  Chawki6 | Oct 30, 2014 |
My first impression was that this would be a cute book from the cartoon illustration of the little boy on the first page. But then I started to read, awkward, broken rhyming and dis-jointed, confusing sentence structure.

“For one little boy, this summer was going to be really exciting!
He and his whole family were going out to do some camping!
This little boy is five years old, and big trees he loves to climb!
His special name is Terry Treetop since it is his favorite pastime!
Terry is very cute and chubby. He has freckles and on his clothes
with patches over rips and tears because always up the tree he goes.”

Also I would never recommend a picture book that calls a child chubby.

The vocabulary is not suited to a rhyming book such as curiously, vowed, binoculars, concern, and gratitude.

The story itself is quite interesting. Terry finds an egg and asks numerous animals if it belongs to them. Each animal shares information about themselves and their eggs. I did wonder why a hen was in a meadow and not on a farm. It has a sweet ending and I would love to recommend it but the writing is just too awkward.

I would strongly recommend the second edition without rhyming. Good rhyming is one of the most difficult things to write and it’s absolutely unnecessary in a children’s book. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Oct 27, 2014 |
I read Terry Treetop and the lost egg in exchange for honest review from Tomoson. I wanted to read the book for my kids. The book teaches kids about eggs and their mothers. I also loved the graphics in the book. Great quick read. ( )
  staciewyatt | Jun 19, 2014 |

Tali Carmi is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,398,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible