Snowblind by Christopher Golden

Snowblind (2014)

by Christopher Golden

1992459,063 (3.45)11

From Amazon:

In Christopher Golden’s first horror novel in more than a decade---a work reminiscent of early Stephen King---Snowblind updates the ghost story for the modern age. The small New England town of Coventry had weathered a thousand blizzards . . . but never one like this. Icy figures danced in the wind and gazed through children's windows with soul-chilling eyes. People wandered into the whiteout and were never seen again. Families were torn apart, and the town would never be the same. Now, as a new storm approaches twelve years later, the folks of Coventry are haunted by the memories of that dreadful blizzard and those who were lost in the snow. Photographer Jake Schapiro mourns his little brother, Isaac, even as---tonight---another little boy is missing. Mechanic and part-time thief Doug Manning's life has been forever scarred by the mysterious death of his wife, Cherie, and now he’s starting over with another woman and more ambitious crimes. Police detective Joe Keenan has never been the same since that night, when he failed to save the life of a young boy . . . and the boy’s father vanished in the storm only feet away. And all the way on the other side of the country, Miri Ristani receives a phone call . . . from a man who died twelve years ago. As old ghosts trickle back, this new storm will prove to be even more terrifying than the last.

My Thoughts:

Sometimes the story is a little obvious -- it is fairly easy to figure out why people are behaving strangely -- and I'm not sure whether Golden meant for the secret to be so easily guessed. It was difficult to buy into the phenomenon that drives the story, in part because it isn't convincingly described and in part because it is too easily battled in the end, but I liked the characters so much that my reservations about the plot were not a serious obstacle to my enjoyment of the novel. If you're a fan of good, scary novels, this one won't disappoint.
1 vote Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
During a blizzard several people mysteriously die. Twelve years later another blizzard is headed to Coventry and there are signs that some of the dead have returned. A creepy book that I'm glad I read when it isn't snowing. Only thing I didn't like was the ending. Very dissatisfying with lots of loose end. ( )
1 vote RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
This book is a stunning piece of storytelling and scene setting. The author really knows how to make it three dimensional, and in a horror piece, that gets to ya. Through a seamless integration of description, dialogue, and atmosphere, Snowblind comes alive in such a way as to make the ghosts, monsters, and lost ones breathe with detail. Something has to be said for the pacing as well. There is not one place in this novel that is wasted storytelling. Every paragraph serves a purpose and draws you ever further into the tribulations of Coventry and its inhabitants.

I loved the horror elements in this book. It was at times in your face but also it could be very subtle. A wisp of snow on the wind, a voice on that same wind, a faint figure dancing in the distance… More times than I can count I was shivering in more than just cold and leaving my light on. I also liked how not every character got their happy ending; some of the innocent bystander characters were lost along the way. And the end was very ambiguous. I loved that! The reader is left not knowing if all the lost souls got to “cross over” or if something else entirely happened. And the very end scene with the blue eyes? Yeah, still makes me ponder and grin at the great suspense and horror.

The characters are as three-dimensional as the settings in this novel. Everyone has their virtues and vices, their goals, ambitions, and drive. I was enthralled reading how everyone dealt with their own horror experiences and seeing how it changed them twelve years later when the next big storm hit. How each character dealt with their losses and seeing how it changed them and their relationships was the meat of the story for me.

This novel is a shining example of how horror should be. Intricate storytelling, atmospheric scene setting, three-dimensional characters, and horror elements that keep the lights on, this novel has them all. Highly recommended for a read in this Halloween month, just don’t forget the blanket to hide under. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 13, 2016 |
The people who live in Coventry, Massachusetts are used to blizzards, but this one was one of the worst on record; both for the duration of the storm and the 18 people that disappeared. They didn’t wander off and get lost in the snow, to be found later. Nope, they just disappeared. Of the people left behind Jake Shapiro has the worst time of it when the snow starts every year, because he recalls his little brother falling (being pulled?) through their bedroom window before his very eyes. Twelve years later another super-storm is predicted for Coventry and the townspeople are getting very anxious about it again. But this time things are different … some people are coming back!

This book had an amazing introduction by Stephen King and I was anticipating a really good ghost story as I started reading Snowblind. Admittedly, I am a little bit of a “ghost story snob” so I have to say this was not technically a ghost story. The horror element in the book was excellent. It was a reasonably fresh concept, similar to “The Returned” but with the scary factor amped up considerably. There was a considerable amount of time spent on the back-story for the main characters and, although some reviewers disagree, I think it added interest to the book. I cared about what was happening to the characters because I knew why they were acting a certain way. It made me want to keep reading. Despite the questionable nature of the “ghosts” Mr. Golden has given me one of the better horror novels I have read so far this year.
1 vote ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I got bit again. I did not notice that there was a recommendation from Stephen King on this book. I have vowed that the books I like and the ones he likes are never the same. It is not that this story was bad, or poorly written, it was just boring, and way too long. Chop out 200 pages and it would have been better. ( )
1 vote zmagic69 | Jan 14, 2015 |
For Lily Grace Golden,
who brightens even the darkest days
Ella Santos stood on the sidewalk with a cigarette in her hand, watching the snow fall and feeling more alone than she had ever felt in her life.

The small New England town of Coventry had weathered a thousand blizzards — but never one like this, where people wandered into the whiteout and vanished. Families were torn apart, and the town would never be the same.

Now, as a new storm approaches twelve years later, the folks of Coventry are haunted by the memories of that dreadful blizzard and those who were lost in the snow. Photographer Jake Schapiro mourns his little brother, Isaac, even as — tonight — another little boy is missing. Mechanic and part-time thief Doug Manning's life has been forever scarred by the mysterious death of his wife, Cherie, and now he's starting over with another woman and more ambitious crimes. Police detective Joe Keenan has never been the same since that night, when he failed to save the life of a young boy... and the boy's father vanished in the storm only feet away. And all the way on the other side of the country, Miri Ristani receives a phone call... from a man who died twelve years ago.

Spellbinding in scope and rooted deeply in classic storytelling, Snowblind is a chilling masterpiece that is both Christopher Golden's breakout book and a standout supernatural thriller.

"SNOWBLIND is a thrilling contemporary ghost story with both horror and heart. The small New England town of Coventry is haunted by its memories of a deadly winter... in which loved ones were lost, families torn apart, and a town buried in a terrible blizzard. Now, twelve years later, the people plagued by their memories of that storm are haunted once again as a new storm approaches, promising to wreak new havoc. Old ghosts trickle back, and this storm will prove even more terrifying and deadly than the last. With richly textured characters, scarred and haunted by the ghosts of those they loved most, Snowblind reinvents the ghost story for today's world. Spellbinding in scope and rooted deeply in classic storytelling, Christopher Golden has written a chilling masterpiece that is the best work of his career and a standout supernatural thriller"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,023,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible